Log In

Come Join Us!

Are you an
Engineering professional?
Join Eng-Tips Forums!
  • Talk With Other Members
  • Be Notified Of Responses
    To Your Posts
  • Keyword Search
  • One-Click Access To Your
    Favorite Forums
  • Automated Signatures
    On Your Posts
  • Best Of All, It's Free!
  • Students Click Here

*Eng-Tips's functionality depends on members receiving e-mail. By joining you are opting in to receive e-mail.

Posting Guidelines

Promoting, selling, recruiting, coursework and thesis posting is forbidden.

Students Click Here


Whats this box called?

Whats this box called?

Whats this box called?

Its from a JLG scissor lift. In the service manual they call it a control valve assembly.
I trying to find how they work but cant find much info online so I thought it may be known by other names.
Doesn't have to be this very one but I want to learn how they are inside and how the fluid flows.

RE: Whats this box called?

This is a custom made valve block.
It’s the hydraulic equivalent of a PCB in electronics.
To design such a block a hydraulic schematic is first created based on the specific needs for a particular machine, then valves are selected and physical layout made.
Thousands of cartridge valves (“screw in valves”) with various functions and sizes are available to choose from from dozens of suppliers as well as cetop valves (the ones screwed on). After this a block is machined with cavities for all the valves and the connection channels between them. Blocks range in size from a pack of cigarettes up to several tons. The function of one of these custom made hydraulic blocks can be anything you can imagine. New designs are being created everyday around the world.
This is why you can’t find much info online.

If you want to understand how this particular block works you start with the schematic (which I believe you have). Redraw if necessary for clarity. Print it out and get your colored pens out to trace lines through the valves in different states (hoisting, lowering, turning etc.).

Make sure you identify all components on the schematic in real life and vise verse. Usually this is enough to get a good understanding.
If needed, the next step would be to identify the brand and model of every single valve and download the datasheets.

If you post a high quality version of the schematic I may be able to help you out.

Red Flag This Post

Please let us know here why this post is inappropriate. Reasons such as off-topic, duplicates, flames, illegal, vulgar, or students posting their homework.

Red Flag Submitted

Thank you for helping keep Eng-Tips Forums free from inappropriate posts.
The Eng-Tips staff will check this out and take appropriate action.

Reply To This Thread

Posting in the Eng-Tips forums is a member-only feature.

Click Here to join Eng-Tips and talk with other members!


3D Scanning in the Automotive Industry
With over 100 years of production history, the automotive industry has been at the forefront of manufacturing technology since its inception. Whether the transformative technology of the day was the assembly line, the integration of robotics into the manufacturing process, or the switch from steel to aluminum frame chasses, the automotive industry has consistently implemented advanced technology into its manufacturing and production workflow to improve manufacturing and product performance. Today, the same is true. Download Now
Green light on lidar: Developing low cost systems for autonomous vehicles
Lidar has been around for quite some time, but to date, it’s been custom—and expensive. Right now, there isn’t a clear-cut solution that’s suitable for all applications, such as lidar in autonomous vehicles. As they explore options, optical and mechanical engineers are forced to make choices and tradeoffs during the design process. Download Now

Close Box

Join Eng-Tips® Today!

Join your peers on the Internet's largest technical engineering professional community.
It's easy to join and it's free.

Here's Why Members Love Eng-Tips Forums:

Register now while it's still free!

Already a member? Close this window and log in.

Join Us             Close