Contact US

Log In

Come Join Us!

Are you an
Engineering professional?
Join Eng-Tips Forums!
  • Talk With Other Members
  • Be Notified Of Responses
    To Your Posts
  • Keyword Search
  • One-Click Access To Your
    Favorite Forums
  • Automated Signatures
    On Your Posts
  • Best Of All, It's Free!

*Eng-Tips's functionality depends on members receiving e-mail. By joining you are opting in to receive e-mail.

Posting Guidelines

Promoting, selling, recruiting, coursework and thesis posting is forbidden.

Students Click Here

Offshore structure parts

Offshore structure parts

RE: Offshore structure parts

Could you please post in *.pdf format. Thanks

RE: Offshore structure parts

Thank you.

1 "SW",or "NE" (or whatever direction, or use an "A-1", "B-2" designation) Jacket Leg, Splash Zone,
2 Not sure what that is. May be,
"Stub" "SW", or "A-2" Jacket Leg, Splash Zone
3 "SW", or "A-2" Lower Deck Column, Elevation +XX.XX
4 "SW", or "B-2" Stabbing Point Flange, , Elevation +XX.XX
5 "SW", or "B-2" Lower to Upper Deck Column Joint, Elevation +XX.XX
6 Not sure what that is. May be
Jib Crane Mast Extension Joint

RE: Offshore structure parts

Item 2 is quite odd - might have been something left from either the jacket installation or the topside installation. Or maybe a protection for vessels moored to it? Did they fill the legs with concrete or grout after the topsides were installed?

6 - Some sort of collar? - difficult to see.

Remember - More details = better answers
Also: If you get a response it's polite to respond to it.

RE: Offshore structure parts

Thank you 153-44 & Little Inch for the replies.

All the 4 legs has item no 2. I too think it has been something left after installation. The legs seem to be filled with concrete.
I have posted the picture of item no 6. It looks like some rubber sleeve around the support column on the loading arm.


RE: Offshore structure parts

Never seen anything like #2 before.

RE: Offshore structure parts

That makes sense. No 2 is a concrete fill line for use after they transported the jacket to site and put it on the seabed. then they poured concrete it in to weigh it down and give it a bit more strength and stop seawater corroding it from the inside.

No 6 is a rubber collar that should be higher up - you can see the gap further up. It is designed so that when the crane jib moves around, it cushions the main support leg from damage as the half shell hits it. But it's fallen down.

So its a rubber protection sleeve.

But it needs to be fixed back in place.

That second photo 3580 shows it much better. The crane jib can rotate 180 degrees, but the position stop is supposed to hit the protection sleeve. on the other photo you can see the metal clamp on the bottom is broken.

Remember - More details = better answers
Also: If you get a response it's polite to respond to it.

RE: Offshore structure parts

OK. Usually they do that before topside is in place, stabbing the pile down through the jacket, then grouting only at the pile jacket near the seabed. This is probably very shallow water and the pile top is very close to the waterline, or even a bit above.

RE: Offshore structure parts

I think it might be a pilot flare. I dont know about the details of flare systems. Sometimes they keep a small gas fire continuously lit adjacent to the main flare, so any large quantity of gas arriving suddenly at a flare tip not burning is ignited immediately. That may be the pilot flare stack.

RE: Offshore structure parts

Thanks a lot 1503-44.
Thank you again for your information regarding the flare and pilots.

RE: Offshore structure parts

I don't think that big pipe is actually a flare - more like a vent line - you don't usually see then at an angle like that.

I think those three little prongs are measuring heat in case the vent ignites or measuring it to make sure it hasn't gone out. You should find them on a P&ID of the vent/flare system which should tell you what these are supposed to be.

The little line looks like a small diameter cold vent to me.

The long pipe thing looks like a lightening rod to me as well, but I'm glad I will never climb up such a thin vertical pipe....

But mr 44 could be also dead right about the flare stuff.

Remember - More details = better answers
Also: If you get a response it's polite to respond to it.

RE: Offshore structure parts

I think it might be some kind of flare monitor. They wouldn't function too well for very long if they were close.

RE: Offshore structure parts

It's just I've never seen a flare which wasn't a vertical pipe with a horizontal end on it.

This thing is off a 45 degree elbow, then cut at 45 degrees to have vertical face. Looks like a vent stack to me.

Remember - More details = better answers
Also: If you get a response it's polite to respond to it.

RE: Offshore structure parts

Thank you 1503-44 & LittleInch for your valuable inputs.

I agree with LittleInch regarding this. This is a vent as there is no black soot around the pipes which gets deposited on the external surface of pipes due to flaring. The small pipe was supposed to have a hat like structure on top which has corroded away which is not required in a pilot burner.

I also think the vertical post is for lightening arrestor.

RE: Offshore structure parts

Offshore there are not all that many vertical flares. Angled flares booms are far more common in my experience. Occasionally a vertical flare might be located on its own adjacent platform, but its a bit rare. Most I've seen look like these. Some are completely horizontal.

RE: Offshore structure parts

The boom might be at an angle but the end flare tip bit is vertical or near vertical.

That one the end of the pipe is horizontal

Remember - More details = better answers
Also: If you get a response it's polite to respond to it.

RE: Offshore structure parts

They must have lost the installation instructions.
Not sure that tip angle actually matters a whole lot.
Why would it have to be pointing up? Out and away seems better.

Full speed ahead.

RE: Offshore structure parts

OK point made about which way it points.

But all the ends are 90 degrees to the pipe.

Remember - More details = better answers
Also: If you get a response it's polite to respond to it.

Red Flag This Post

Please let us know here why this post is inappropriate. Reasons such as off-topic, duplicates, flames, illegal, vulgar, or students posting their homework.

Red Flag Submitted

Thank you for helping keep Eng-Tips Forums free from inappropriate posts.
The Eng-Tips staff will check this out and take appropriate action.

Reply To This Thread

Posting in the Eng-Tips forums is a member-only feature.

Click Here to join Eng-Tips and talk with other members! Already a Member? Login


Low-Volume Rapid Injection Molding With 3D Printed Molds
Learn methods and guidelines for using stereolithography (SLA) 3D printed molds in the injection molding process to lower costs and lead time. Discover how this hybrid manufacturing process enables on-demand mold fabrication to quickly produce small batches of thermoplastic parts. Download Now
Design for Additive Manufacturing (DfAM)
Examine how the principles of DfAM upend many of the long-standing rules around manufacturability - allowing engineers and designers to place a part’s function at the center of their design considerations. Download Now
Taking Control of Engineering Documents
This ebook covers tips for creating and managing workflows, security best practices and protection of intellectual property, Cloud vs. on-premise software solutions, CAD file management, compliance, and more. Download Now

Close Box

Join Eng-Tips® Today!

Join your peers on the Internet's largest technical engineering professional community.
It's easy to join and it's free.

Here's Why Members Love Eng-Tips Forums:

Register now while it's still free!

Already a member? Close this window and log in.

Join Us             Close