Contact US

Log In

Come Join Us!

Are you an
Engineering professional?
Join Eng-Tips Forums!
  • Talk With Other Members
  • Be Notified Of Responses
    To Your Posts
  • Keyword Search
  • One-Click Access To Your
    Favorite Forums
  • Automated Signatures
    On Your Posts
  • Best Of All, It's Free!

*Eng-Tips's functionality depends on members receiving e-mail. By joining you are opting in to receive e-mail.

Posting Guidelines

Promoting, selling, recruiting, coursework and thesis posting is forbidden.

Students Click Here

Environmental permitting is eating our lunch!

Environmental permitting is eating our lunch!

Environmental permitting is eating our lunch!

I'm working in an urban area where after the pedestrian/greenway project is complete, there cannot be any (zero) permanent structures in the channel bottom of a jurisdictional stream. We are currently constructing poured in place swale bridges over jurisdictional "ditches" with maybe a span of 4'. A small swale bridge may take 3-4 pours and our contractors hate them because of the time between pours. We are looking for an off the shelf, small, pre-cast structure that we could install in a day or so. Maybe a three-sided box culvert. Loading needs to be at least H25.

Looking for ideas and advise if anyone has ran into similar situations.

Robert Billings, PE, PH, CFM

RE: Environmental permitting is eating our lunch!

There are numerous precast concrete and corrugated steel options available from several precasters and manufacturers. Have you tried a web search for "three sided culvert in [your state/region]"? That should get you contacts for some local precast concrete suppliers.

Also, you probably haven't gotten any other responses because the title of your post isn't descriptive of the information you're seeking. It sounds more like a rant against the EPA, etc. than a search for help or information.

Rod Smith, P.E., The artist formerly known as HotRod10

RE: Environmental permitting is eating our lunch!

Additional search terms would be “split box culvert” (Oldcastle Infrastructure as an example) or “two piece box culvert” in your area.

Red Flag This Post

Please let us know here why this post is inappropriate. Reasons such as off-topic, duplicates, flames, illegal, vulgar, or students posting their homework.

Red Flag Submitted

Thank you for helping keep Eng-Tips Forums free from inappropriate posts.
The Eng-Tips staff will check this out and take appropriate action.

Reply To This Thread

Posting in the Eng-Tips forums is a member-only feature.

Click Here to join Eng-Tips and talk with other members! Already a Member? Login


Close Box

Join Eng-Tips® Today!

Join your peers on the Internet's largest technical engineering professional community.
It's easy to join and it's free.

Here's Why Members Love Eng-Tips Forums:

Register now while it's still free!

Already a member? Close this window and log in.

Join Us             Close