Contact US

Log In

Come Join Us!

Are you an
Engineering professional?
Join Eng-Tips Forums!
  • Talk With Other Members
  • Be Notified Of Responses
    To Your Posts
  • Keyword Search
  • One-Click Access To Your
    Favorite Forums
  • Automated Signatures
    On Your Posts
  • Best Of All, It's Free!

*Eng-Tips's functionality depends on members receiving e-mail. By joining you are opting in to receive e-mail.

Posting Guidelines

Promoting, selling, recruiting, coursework and thesis posting is forbidden.

Students Click Here

Core size nomenclature

Core size nomenclature

Core size nomenclature

Im used to the terminlogy "square millimetre" when expressing a core size.  Some time ago I ran in to "AWG".  I assume this to be American.  Can someone shed some light how this sizing is used and what does it stand for?


RE: Core size nomenclature

American Wire Gage.  The smaller the number the large the wire.  Previously referred to as the Brown & Sharpe Gage.  

There is a mathematical (geometric) progression -

Size 0000 is defined as 0.46 inches in diameter.  Size 36 is defined as 0.0050 inches.  

The ratio between any two adjacent sizes is 1.123

An increase of three sizes approximately doubles the cross-sectional area.  

For sizes above 0000 (or 4/0), we use circular mils, which makes even less sense.  A circular mil is a unit of AREA equal to the area of a circle that is 1 mil in diameter.  (A mil is equal to 0.001 inches).  

So to convert from circular mils to actual area:

1 circular mil = 0.7854 mils squared

We generally use kcmil (thousand circular mils), previously abbreviated as mcm.  

Of course in the UK, you have British Standard Gauge....

RE: Core size nomenclature

Thank you both for your replies.

Red Flag This Post

Please let us know here why this post is inappropriate. Reasons such as off-topic, duplicates, flames, illegal, vulgar, or students posting their homework.

Red Flag Submitted

Thank you for helping keep Eng-Tips Forums free from inappropriate posts.
The Eng-Tips staff will check this out and take appropriate action.

Reply To This Thread

Posting in the Eng-Tips forums is a member-only feature.

Click Here to join Eng-Tips and talk with other members! Already a Member? Login


Close Box

Join Eng-Tips® Today!

Join your peers on the Internet's largest technical engineering professional community.
It's easy to join and it's free.

Here's Why Members Love Eng-Tips Forums:

Register now while it's still free!

Already a member? Close this window and log in.

Join Us             Close