Log In

Come Join Us!

Are you an
Engineering professional?
Join Eng-Tips Forums!
  • Talk With Other Members
  • Be Notified Of Responses
    To Your Posts
  • Keyword Search
  • One-Click Access To Your
    Favorite Forums
  • Automated Signatures
    On Your Posts
  • Best Of All, It's Free!
  • Students Click Here

*Eng-Tips's functionality depends on members receiving e-mail. By joining you are opting in to receive e-mail.

Posting Guidelines

Promoting, selling, recruiting, coursework and thesis posting is forbidden.

Students Click Here


Material Equivalent for Steel 1008

Material Equivalent for Steel 1008

Material Equivalent for Steel 1008

I have a question for you; I have been searching and some say yes and some they don't consider material SPCC as an equivalent to Steel 1008, do you have any data that confirms or denies this??
thank you

RE: Material Equivalent for Steel 1008

SPCC is per the JIS standard, 1008 is ASTM.
Both are "general use" steels and are roughly equivalent.

Max c .15%
Max mn .6%
Max P .05%
Max S .05%
Min 40 ksi tensile

Max c .15%
Max mn .6%
Max P .03%
Max S .035%
20-40 ksi tensile

RE: Material Equivalent for Steel 1008

That's what I noticed, composition is close, I can say that SPCC it's just an option if you cant find 1008, but definitely they are not Equivalents.
Thank you MCGYVR

RE: Material Equivalent for Steel 1008


You are getting conflicting opinions because this is sort of a gray area. The requirements for SPCC are well defined in the Japanese standard JIS G3141. 1008 is a designation from SAE J403, which is for chemical composition only, not product form (sheet, strip, bar). So there is nothing about mechanical properties, tolerances on sheet thickness, etc. In terms of chemical composition, 1008 from SAE J403 is similar to SPCC, but not exact. The C content is limited to 0.10% maximum for 1008, whereas SPCC allows 0.15% max. ASTM standards, not SAE, are used for defining product forms such as sheet. ASTM A1008 is the North American analog to JIS G3141, and has grades that line up well:

SPCC --> CS Type B
SPCD --> CS Type A
SPCE --> DS Type A or B

RE: Material Equivalent for Steel 1008

TVP, thank you very much for this information, it was very helpful thumbsup2
Have a great one

Red Flag This Post

Please let us know here why this post is inappropriate. Reasons such as off-topic, duplicates, flames, illegal, vulgar, or students posting their homework.

Red Flag Submitted

Thank you for helping keep Eng-Tips Forums free from inappropriate posts.
The Eng-Tips staff will check this out and take appropriate action.

Reply To This Thread

Posting in the Eng-Tips forums is a member-only feature.

Click Here to join Eng-Tips and talk with other members!


Close Box

Join Eng-Tips® Today!

Join your peers on the Internet's largest technical engineering professional community.
It's easy to join and it's free.

Here's Why Members Love Eng-Tips Forums:

Register now while it's still free!

Already a member? Close this window and log in.

Join Us             Close