Log In

Come Join Us!

Are you an
Engineering professional?
Join Eng-Tips Forums!
  • Talk With Other Members
  • Be Notified Of Responses
    To Your Posts
  • Keyword Search
  • One-Click Access To Your
    Favorite Forums
  • Automated Signatures
    On Your Posts
  • Best Of All, It's Free!
  • Students Click Here

*Eng-Tips's functionality depends on members receiving e-mail. By joining you are opting in to receive e-mail.

Posting Guidelines

Promoting, selling, recruiting, coursework and thesis posting is forbidden.

Students Click Here


Small, ductile, thick walled part. What Mold

Small, ductile, thick walled part. What Mold

Small, ductile, thick walled part. What Mold

I have designed a plastic or rubber part, I should say imagined, since the design of the part is the reason I am asking my question, about 75mm long with a multi-contoured outer surface and smooth cylindrical ID about 12-18mm.  I want it strong yet flexible, like a hose with an irregular outer surfce 3 inches long.  What materials should I consider? Where would IM take over as far as volume?    

Where do I go to get a bid on the part and how do I ensure my design is not compromised

RE: Small, ductile, thick walled part. What Mold

To answer your last question first: It depends on your selling price - and the volume requirements.

Materials: You have a choice of many, at least in the hundreds - what is the application?

You need to talk to your local moulder (molder?) regarding design compromise, but a smooth bore (essential/critical) and a multi-contoured outer is probably possible.




Why be happy when you can be normal?

RE: Small, ductile, thick walled part. What Mold

If you want to protect your IP, depending on where you are, take out a patent, register the design, speak to a patent attorney, or have everyone involved sign a non disclosure agreement.

re the technical details, no where near enough information is provide to begin to guess.

What do you mean by flexible?

What do you mean by strong>

What environment will it be exposed to and for how long?

What life do you expect?

How complex is the shape?

What level of precission is required?

Is further processing required, like painting or assembly.

See FAQ731-376: Eng-Tips.com Forum Policies for tips on use of eng-tips by professional engineers &
for site rules

RE: Small, ductile, thick walled part. What Mold

Wow, you guys are good!  As far as trying to address the material, I would say it would be similar to the hard rubbber used in making an electrical adapter that changes a cord from three prong to two (or vise versa).
That should address both flexibility and strength

The environment would be outdoor weatherable but no additional requirements in terms of excessive heat, or cold.

There are no moving parts and it has no expectations of life cycle - it will likely be lost beforew it becomes unuseable.  

The shape would be cylindrical but not necessarily complex.  I envision a few extensions off the body of the part that would be made of the same material but either attached during the molding or attached post-molding.  I guess the complexity would be determined by how these extensions are attached.  

Not a high degree of precision.  The parts can have a wide tolerance and they are not required to be identical to each other run-to-run.

If the surface has a relatively smooth feel the part would not require any post painting or coating.  Again, think in terms of the adapter.

I really appreciate the comments.  Do you have any reccommended molders in the Atlanta area?



RE: Small, ductile, thick walled part. What Mold

Not sure "flexible" is a term I would use to describe the material in a 2-to-3 prong adapter.  "Ductile" is another I wouldn't expect to use, particularly if you want it to retain its original shape.

Dan - Owner

Red Flag This Post

Please let us know here why this post is inappropriate. Reasons such as off-topic, duplicates, flames, illegal, vulgar, or students posting their homework.

Red Flag Submitted

Thank you for helping keep Eng-Tips Forums free from inappropriate posts.
The Eng-Tips staff will check this out and take appropriate action.

Reply To This Thread

Posting in the Eng-Tips forums is a member-only feature.

Click Here to join Eng-Tips and talk with other members!


Close Box

Join Eng-Tips® Today!

Join your peers on the Internet's largest technical engineering professional community.
It's easy to join and it's free.

Here's Why Members Love Eng-Tips Forums:

Register now while it's still free!

Already a member? Close this window and log in.

Join Us             Close