Contact US

Log In

Come Join Us!

Are you an
Engineering professional?
Join Eng-Tips Forums!
  • Talk With Other Members
  • Be Notified Of Responses
    To Your Posts
  • Keyword Search
  • One-Click Access To Your
    Favorite Forums
  • Automated Signatures
    On Your Posts
  • Best Of All, It's Free!

*Eng-Tips's functionality depends on members receiving e-mail. By joining you are opting in to receive e-mail.

Posting Guidelines

Promoting, selling, recruiting, coursework and thesis posting is forbidden.

Students Click Here

How can I measure cracks in structures of concrete?

How can I measure cracks in structures of concrete?

How can I measure cracks in structures of concrete?

I'am studying a Master in Construcction, and I want to study cracks in structures of concrete (slabs), I'am planing make slabs of 3'x3' with diferent variables (temperature, slump) and measure de amount of cracks to define de causes of it. I'll apreciate any help. Thanks

RE: How can I measure cracks in structures of concrete?

For your purpose I suggest using an amplification optical device suited tou you size of slab that may have projected wthin a measure grid. If this is of no avail, traditional means of measuring cracks are pocket calendar size plastic transparent sheets with straight lines printed in that you superpose to match in sight size. I have one in front of me edited by our professional chapter, the Colegio Oficial de Arquitectos de Aragón in Spain (er, I never thought I would have any use for it). Instead of sending it to you, make the same in one Pagemaker or so and Print in one plastic sheet yourself...or a printing service can do it for you.

RE: How can I measure cracks in structures of concrete?

I believe the slab size you have chosen is much too small to effectively study cracking in concrete.  Even if fully restrained, you will likely not build up sufficient stress to induce much cracking.

I would suggest long, narrow strips of concrete to obtain appropriate cracking for study.

Use an optical comparator device or mount crack monitoring devices directly onto the concrete.  You can also monitor electronically with crack monitoring devices (LVDT's spanning the cracks), and you can monitor drying stresses with strain gages.

Red Flag This Post

Please let us know here why this post is inappropriate. Reasons such as off-topic, duplicates, flames, illegal, vulgar, or students posting their homework.

Red Flag Submitted

Thank you for helping keep Eng-Tips Forums free from inappropriate posts.
The Eng-Tips staff will check this out and take appropriate action.

Reply To This Thread

Posting in the Eng-Tips forums is a member-only feature.

Click Here to join Eng-Tips and talk with other members! Already a Member? Login


Close Box

Join Eng-Tips® Today!

Join your peers on the Internet's largest technical engineering professional community.
It's easy to join and it's free.

Here's Why Members Love Eng-Tips Forums:

Register now while it's still free!

Already a member? Close this window and log in.

Join Us             Close