Contact US

Log In

Come Join Us!

Are you an
Engineering professional?
Join Eng-Tips Forums!
  • Talk With Other Members
  • Be Notified Of Responses
    To Your Posts
  • Keyword Search
  • One-Click Access To Your
    Favorite Forums
  • Automated Signatures
    On Your Posts
  • Best Of All, It's Free!

*Eng-Tips's functionality depends on members receiving e-mail. By joining you are opting in to receive e-mail.

Posting Guidelines

Promoting, selling, recruiting, coursework and thesis posting is forbidden.

Students Click Here

Volume calculation for falling water

Volume calculation for falling water

Volume calculation for falling water

I was hoping that I someone would be able to help me with a flow rate calculation that I am having trouble solving.
I am designing and building a resonable size vertical waterfall in a contemporary garden and obviously need exact (or at least sensible) flow rates to be able to allow for tank capacities and pump ratings.

Ideally the flow should be sufficient to have a good impact visually, but does not necessarily have to be a "sheet" of water. (Which I assume would require exponentially larger amount of water over the edge with an increasing face (fall) height.

I preview approx 200/250/300 cms fall down the face with a cascading "edge" of at least 400 centimetres.

In the event that this proves to costly / too noisy / otherwise unsuitable, then I would also be very happy to receive ideas as to the similar but different calculation required when the flow is attached to the face rather than in free fall. This I presume would be thinner and slower and therefore far less demanding in terms of pump capacity.   

Help with this would be much appreciated.


RE: Volume calculation for falling water

I just went through the process that you are describing and ended up using a 80 gallon per minute Gould sump pump that pumps water up 12'. It is top of the line and there are cheaper pumps. It puts out a sheet of water 24" wide by about 1/2" deep and tumbles down a 15' rocked slope that spreads out the water to about 5' wide.

You can put in a inline valve and throttle down the water flow if you get too much.

I don't understand the size of the falls or what shape it is. Do it in feet.


Red Flag This Post

Please let us know here why this post is inappropriate. Reasons such as off-topic, duplicates, flames, illegal, vulgar, or students posting their homework.

Red Flag Submitted

Thank you for helping keep Eng-Tips Forums free from inappropriate posts.
The Eng-Tips staff will check this out and take appropriate action.

Reply To This Thread

Posting in the Eng-Tips forums is a member-only feature.

Click Here to join Eng-Tips and talk with other members! Already a Member? Login


Low-Volume Rapid Injection Molding With 3D Printed Molds
Learn methods and guidelines for using stereolithography (SLA) 3D printed molds in the injection molding process to lower costs and lead time. Discover how this hybrid manufacturing process enables on-demand mold fabrication to quickly produce small batches of thermoplastic parts. Download Now
Design for Additive Manufacturing (DfAM)
Examine how the principles of DfAM upend many of the long-standing rules around manufacturability - allowing engineers and designers to place a part’s function at the center of their design considerations. Download Now
Taking Control of Engineering Documents
This ebook covers tips for creating and managing workflows, security best practices and protection of intellectual property, Cloud vs. on-premise software solutions, CAD file management, compliance, and more. Download Now

Close Box

Join Eng-Tips® Today!

Join your peers on the Internet's largest technical engineering professional community.
It's easy to join and it's free.

Here's Why Members Love Eng-Tips Forums:

Register now while it's still free!

Already a member? Close this window and log in.

Join Us             Close