Log In

Come Join Us!

Are you an
Engineering professional?
Join Eng-Tips Forums!
  • Talk With Other Members
  • Be Notified Of Responses
    To Your Posts
  • Keyword Search
  • One-Click Access To Your
    Favorite Forums
  • Automated Signatures
    On Your Posts
  • Best Of All, It's Free!

*Eng-Tips's functionality depends on members receiving e-mail. By joining you are opting in to receive e-mail.

Posting Guidelines

Promoting, selling, recruiting, coursework and thesis posting is forbidden.

Students Click Here

Truss Wood

Truss Wood

Truss Wood

I am checking the bending stress on a truss overhang. Can anyone tell me the types of lumber that are typically used in truss design? The truss drawings are unavailable. I figured it's probably Southern Pine or Spruce-Pine-Fur. The project is in Florida. I will of course be conservative if I cannot narrow it down further. Of these types, it "construction grade" always used? What is the lowest grade used for truss design? Thank you for your input.

RE: Truss Wood

Do you have access to the truss?  If so, there may be grade stamps on the chords.  Typically web members are a lower grade than the top and bottom chords.  I cant help you on what species, though.  I'm in the Northeast and we use DFL.

RE: Truss Wood

try your State Natural Resources Dept. for wood type. They may have a local agent who can can look at the wood and tell you exactly what kind it is.With this information specifications will bve easy to determine.

RE: Truss Wood

Could be anything... but, in these environs... they use machine stress graded lumber.  The material is run through a machine that flexes it and determines the stress level to use it at.

RE: Truss Wood

Most common truss material used in Florida is Southern Yellow Pine (SYP).  Typical grading for trusses is No. 2-KD for top and bottom chords, No. 3 for diagonals.

RE: Truss Wood

Thanks for the info.

I do know that it is Southern Yellow Pine. Is this the same as "Southern Pine" in the NDS for Wood Construction? What is the "KD" in No.2-KD?

RE: Truss Wood

Wbruseski...yes, you can use the same material properties.  The KD means Kiln Dried, which is a slightly higher grade designation.  

RE: Truss Wood

You may benefit from contacting Southern Forest Products Assn. 504 443 4464

Red Flag This Post

Please let us know here why this post is inappropriate. Reasons such as off-topic, duplicates, flames, illegal, vulgar, or students posting their homework.

Red Flag Submitted

Thank you for helping keep Eng-Tips Forums free from inappropriate posts.
The Eng-Tips staff will check this out and take appropriate action.

Reply To This Thread

Posting in the Eng-Tips forums is a member-only feature.

Click Here to join Eng-Tips and talk with other members! Already a Member? Login


Close Box

Join Eng-Tips® Today!

Join your peers on the Internet's largest technical engineering professional community.
It's easy to join and it's free.

Here's Why Members Love Eng-Tips Forums:

Register now while it's still free!

Already a member? Close this window and log in.

Join Us             Close