Contact US

Log In

Come Join Us!

Are you an
Engineering professional?
Join Eng-Tips Forums!
  • Talk With Other Members
  • Be Notified Of Responses
    To Your Posts
  • Keyword Search
  • One-Click Access To Your
    Favorite Forums
  • Automated Signatures
    On Your Posts
  • Best Of All, It's Free!

*Eng-Tips's functionality depends on members receiving e-mail. By joining you are opting in to receive e-mail.

Posting Guidelines

Promoting, selling, recruiting, coursework and thesis posting is forbidden.

Students Click Here

Bridge Engineering in the UK - Documents/Codes required

Bridge Engineering in the UK - Documents/Codes required

Bridge Engineering in the UK - Documents/Codes required

Hi All,
I will be moving to the UK shortly to start working as a Bridge Engineer for a consultancy where I am expected to do load ratings and bridge/gantry rehabilitation works. My previous/current experience has been in New Zealand and Australia. Can I check what documents I need to be referring to in the UK?

I am guessing the following:
* Is there a DMRB guide?
* ICE Bridge Manual?
* EC2 - Concrete
* EC3 - Steel

Please let me know of the documents I need to be aware of, So I can read these before I start my work in December.

Thanks and Regards,

RE: Bridge Engineering in the UK - Documents/Codes required

Isn't this a question the consultancy company should be able to answer?

RE: Bridge Engineering in the UK - Documents/Codes required

SWC-you could say the same about most of the posts here.

Dimz seems to be looking for help from practicing Bridge Engineers, fair post i think

RE: Bridge Engineering in the UK - Documents/Codes required

@SWComposites - I have contacted them, but I have not been able to get through to the hiring technical manager via HR thus far...whilst I wait, I thought I will seek other engineer's opinion.

RE: Bridge Engineering in the UK - Documents/Codes required

Okey, first a disclaimer smile.
I don't work specifically as a bridge engineer, but I do work with bridges to some extent. And I don't work in the UK.

I do however know the Eurocodes smile so I give it a try.

Eurocode 2, Concrete:
EN 1992-1-1: General rules and rules for buildings
EN 1992-2: Concrete bridges - Design and detailing rules
I think those two will cover a lot of what you need regarding concrete.

Eurocode 2, Steel:
EN 1993-1-1: General rules and rules for buildings
EN 1993-2: Steel Bridges

When it comes to steel there is a bunch of Eurocodes and you probably need at least the following in addition to the first two:
EN 1993-1-5: Plated structural elements
EN 1993-1-8: Design of joints
EN 1993-1-9: Fatigue

Then we have the loads and there is a Eurocode for General actions (EN 1991-1-1) one for snow (EN 1991-1-3) and one for wind (EN 1991-1-4). But since your interest is bridges:
EN 1991-2: Traffic loads on Bridges

And you also need:
EN 1990: Basis for structural Design (primarily the load combinations)

Based on my experience from projects in the UK. There may be manuals or Design Guides that make some of the mentioned standards redundant.

Finally, you need National Annexes (NA) for each standard (All Eurocodes are standards) and all member states have their own NA's. In the National Annexes you will find the parameters that UK has chosen. For example snow loads will vary between UK and Finland. I think you will get them if you buy standards from British Standard.

Finally, the Eurocodes are fairly expensive. I think many companies has some type of subscription to make the price more reasonable. Try to get them from you new employer if possible.

Good luck

I noticed a mistake, it is EN 1991-1-1 not 199-1-1.

RE: Bridge Engineering in the UK - Documents/Codes required

@thomas - thanks for that explanation, you have put me in the right direction, cheers!

Red Flag This Post

Please let us know here why this post is inappropriate. Reasons such as off-topic, duplicates, flames, illegal, vulgar, or students posting their homework.

Red Flag Submitted

Thank you for helping keep Eng-Tips Forums free from inappropriate posts.
The Eng-Tips staff will check this out and take appropriate action.

Reply To This Thread

Posting in the Eng-Tips forums is a member-only feature.

Click Here to join Eng-Tips and talk with other members! Already a Member? Login


Close Box

Join Eng-Tips® Today!

Join your peers on the Internet's largest technical engineering professional community.
It's easy to join and it's free.

Here's Why Members Love Eng-Tips Forums:

Register now while it's still free!

Already a member? Close this window and log in.

Join Us             Close