Contact US

Log In

Come Join Us!

Are you an
Engineering professional?
Join Eng-Tips Forums!
  • Talk With Other Members
  • Be Notified Of Responses
    To Your Posts
  • Keyword Search
  • One-Click Access To Your
    Favorite Forums
  • Automated Signatures
    On Your Posts
  • Best Of All, It's Free!

*Eng-Tips's functionality depends on members receiving e-mail. By joining you are opting in to receive e-mail.

Posting Guidelines

Promoting, selling, recruiting, coursework and thesis posting is forbidden.

Students Click Here

Out of state company - California registration required?

Out of state company - California registration required?

Out of state company - California registration required?

Hi All,
I had a question that relates to company registration.

I have a company in Washington State and recently got structural design projects in CA state. Am I required to register my company in California in order to provide structural design services in California?

Does anyone have any ideas on this? Any help is highly appreciated.

Thank You.

RE: Out of state company - California registration required?

I'm not a lawyer, but I'd say, "Hell yes!"
Not only your company, but the engineers.

RE: Out of state company - California registration required?

Go to the state board's website. They'll explain everything there. You'll likely need to register your company with board AND with the Secretary of State of as a foreign corporate entity (whatever your organizational structure is.)

One state where my company is registered (NC, if I remember correctly), I had to do both, but you can't get your company license without a CoA from the SecState, and you can't get a CoA as an engineering firm without a license from the board. So the board had to issue a provisional license (that I couldn't use to practice) to get the CoA, and then once I had the CoA I could go back and get my real license. Oh, and before any of that, I had to be personally licensed in the state as a PE. So yeah...it's a confusing mess. And don't forget about annual reports, paying for a registered agent with a California address, etc.

RE: Out of state company - California registration required?

You need to speak to an attorney that works in this area of expertise.

A firm is required to register in each state that the firm works in. Each state may have specific requirements such as the percentage of people that are licensed. You also need to have a professional license to seal plans.

Red Flag This Post

Please let us know here why this post is inappropriate. Reasons such as off-topic, duplicates, flames, illegal, vulgar, or students posting their homework.

Red Flag Submitted

Thank you for helping keep Eng-Tips Forums free from inappropriate posts.
The Eng-Tips staff will check this out and take appropriate action.

Reply To This Thread

Posting in the Eng-Tips forums is a member-only feature.

Click Here to join Eng-Tips and talk with other members! Already a Member? Login


Close Box

Join Eng-Tips® Today!

Join your peers on the Internet's largest technical engineering professional community.
It's easy to join and it's free.

Here's Why Members Love Eng-Tips Forums:

Register now while it's still free!

Already a member? Close this window and log in.

Join Us             Close