Contact US

Log In

Come Join Us!

Are you an
Engineering professional?
Join Eng-Tips Forums!
  • Talk With Other Members
  • Be Notified Of Responses
    To Your Posts
  • Keyword Search
  • One-Click Access To Your
    Favorite Forums
  • Automated Signatures
    On Your Posts
  • Best Of All, It's Free!

*Eng-Tips's functionality depends on members receiving e-mail. By joining you are opting in to receive e-mail.

Posting Guidelines

Promoting, selling, recruiting, coursework and thesis posting is forbidden.

Students Click Here

Ideas for wide shallow tanks and LL measurement

Ideas for wide shallow tanks and LL measurement

Ideas for wide shallow tanks and LL measurement

I am currently working on a project for which I need reservoirs with electronic liquid level measurement. I have some ideas on what to use, but I would like feedback from other engineers—maybe I can find something which already exists for a similar application and is widely available. The tanks need to satisfy the following criteria:

  • Volume of approximately 30 litres
  • Under partial vacuum (saturated water/vapour at room temperature)
  • Shallow and wide aspect ratio (to limit liquid level variation as liquid volume changes)
  • Top and bottom openings
  • Continuous liquid level measurement (electronic analogue sensor)
For the tank, a horizontal cylinder with top and bottom openings (in the curved surface) would be ideal, however I don't know where I can get such cylinders. My best ideas so far for the tank are as follows:

  • Flow-through expansion vessel with diaphragm removed (however would ideally be shorter than it is wide)
  • Automatic ceiling mounted fire extinguisher (however will lack the top opening and will be <30 litres)
  • Car fuel tank (however would probably not withstand a partial vacuum)
As for liquid level measurement, I believe ultrasonic sensors won't work because as the fluid will be saturated, any condensation would affect the sensor. Thus my only option seems to be capacitive probes. I was thinking of fitting a riser in parallel to my tank and insert a probe through the top of it.

Any better ideas or improvements are very welcome.

Red Flag This Post

Please let us know here why this post is inappropriate. Reasons such as off-topic, duplicates, flames, illegal, vulgar, or students posting their homework.

Red Flag Submitted

Thank you for helping keep Eng-Tips Forums free from inappropriate posts.
The Eng-Tips staff will check this out and take appropriate action.

Reply To This Thread

Posting in the Eng-Tips forums is a member-only feature.

Click Here to join Eng-Tips and talk with other members! Already a Member? Login


Close Box

Join Eng-Tips® Today!

Join your peers on the Internet's largest technical engineering professional community.
It's easy to join and it's free.

Here's Why Members Love Eng-Tips Forums:

Register now while it's still free!

Already a member? Close this window and log in.

Join Us             Close