Contact US

Log In

Come Join Us!

Are you an
Engineering professional?
Join Eng-Tips Forums!
  • Talk With Other Members
  • Be Notified Of Responses
    To Your Posts
  • Keyword Search
  • One-Click Access To Your
    Favorite Forums
  • Automated Signatures
    On Your Posts
  • Best Of All, It's Free!

*Eng-Tips's functionality depends on members receiving e-mail. By joining you are opting in to receive e-mail.

Posting Guidelines

Promoting, selling, recruiting, coursework and thesis posting is forbidden.

Students Click Here

Adding 480V to Building

Adding 480V to Building

Adding 480V to Building

My company is looking at leasing a small industrial building that is currently not equipped with 480V. A couple of our machines require 460v. Can 480v be added to the building at minimal cost? What is needed?

RE: Adding 480V to Building

The best way would be to get a separate 480V service from the utility. It is also possible to step the existing service voltage up to 480V; but you need a transformer designed for that, not one intended to step down from 480V. The difference will be which winding is wye and which is delta.

You’ll find 480V delta is really easy to find. But that would be wrong for this application. You need a wye on the 480 side and a delta on the source side. Probably a special order.

I’ll see your silver lining and raise you two black clouds. - Protection Operations

RE: Adding 480V to Building

It depends.
If your building has three phase power now.
In addition to David's good advice, the choice will be influenced by the 480 Volt load.
For small loads, a step-up or auto-transformer will be the best choice.
You may have to have a transformer custom wound for 277 Volts.
One solution for small loads may be an open delta Auto-transformer bank.
You may use two off the shelf 120/240V to 240/480V transformers in an open delta auto-transformer connection.
Your 480 Volt circuit will be corner grounded.
For large loads you may need a second 480 Volt service.

Itsmoked may have posted while I am typing.
This is his specialty.
Another alternative for small three phase motor loads is a single phase Variable Frequency Drive (VFD).
This is great for motors but may not be suitable for some other three phase loads.
Control circuits may need special consideration.
Your existing service must have enough spare capacity for the new loads in any event.
More details about your existing installation and your proposed new machines will result in better answers.

"Why not the best?"
Jimmy Carter

Red Flag This Post

Please let us know here why this post is inappropriate. Reasons such as off-topic, duplicates, flames, illegal, vulgar, or students posting their homework.

Red Flag Submitted

Thank you for helping keep Eng-Tips Forums free from inappropriate posts.
The Eng-Tips staff will check this out and take appropriate action.

Reply To This Thread

Posting in the Eng-Tips forums is a member-only feature.

Click Here to join Eng-Tips and talk with other members! Already a Member? Login


Close Box

Join Eng-Tips® Today!

Join your peers on the Internet's largest technical engineering professional community.
It's easy to join and it's free.

Here's Why Members Love Eng-Tips Forums:

Register now while it's still free!

Already a member? Close this window and log in.

Join Us             Close