Contact US

Log In

Come Join Us!

Are you an
Engineering professional?
Join Eng-Tips Forums!
  • Talk With Other Members
  • Be Notified Of Responses
    To Your Posts
  • Keyword Search
  • One-Click Access To Your
    Favorite Forums
  • Automated Signatures
    On Your Posts
  • Best Of All, It's Free!

*Eng-Tips's functionality depends on members receiving e-mail. By joining you are opting in to receive e-mail.

Posting Guidelines

Promoting, selling, recruiting, coursework and thesis posting is forbidden.

Students Click Here

Manufacturer Painting of Ball Valves

Manufacturer Painting of Ball Valves

Manufacturer Painting of Ball Valves

In a painting procedure of a valve manufacturer, the painting system applied for the floating ball valves is consisted from the following two layers
-first layer is chromium phosphate or nitrosynthetic, thickness of coat, once dried: 5/15 microns internal and external
-second layer Rapid-drying synthetic resin 15/35 microns external.
I have the following queries:
1. I know primers such like zinc, epoxy, etc. Nitrosynthetic first time met. If someone knows, please explain.
2. Is it something like the prefabrication primers in ISO 12944?
3. the project requirement is a painting system similar with C5 of ISO 12944. But the valve is stocked and already painted with their system. could we overcoat the valve supplied with C5?
Thanks in advance

RE: Manufacturer Painting of Ball Valves

Please, could someone tell me what would be a paint product "chromium phosphate / nitrosynthetic"? Could this product be used for the corrosion protection of ball valves?

RE: Manufacturer Painting of Ball Valves

The procedure should include the datasheets for the coating materials. If you are invoking ISO 12944 then you should be asking for the Part 6 qualification report. That will identify the paint materials. If you can't verify the paint, you will be taking it back to bare metal and starting again.

Steve Jones
Corrosion Management Consultant


All answers are personal opinions only and are in no way connected with any employer.

RE: Manufacturer Painting of Ball Valves

I revert since the valve mfr has provided a technical data sheet of the paint from SORITEC SPAIN paints, type NITROTEC Nitrocellulose. Have you ever met such external painting for industry valves, meaning valves per ASME B16.34 used in plants.

Red Flag This Post

Please let us know here why this post is inappropriate. Reasons such as off-topic, duplicates, flames, illegal, vulgar, or students posting their homework.

Red Flag Submitted

Thank you for helping keep Eng-Tips Forums free from inappropriate posts.
The Eng-Tips staff will check this out and take appropriate action.

Reply To This Thread

Posting in the Eng-Tips forums is a member-only feature.

Click Here to join Eng-Tips and talk with other members! Already a Member? Login


Close Box

Join Eng-Tips® Today!

Join your peers on the Internet's largest technical engineering professional community.
It's easy to join and it's free.

Here's Why Members Love Eng-Tips Forums:

Register now while it's still free!

Already a member? Close this window and log in.

Join Us             Close