Contact US

Log In

Come Join Us!

Are you an
Engineering professional?
Join Eng-Tips Forums!
  • Talk With Other Members
  • Be Notified Of Responses
    To Your Posts
  • Keyword Search
  • One-Click Access To Your
    Favorite Forums
  • Automated Signatures
    On Your Posts
  • Best Of All, It's Free!

*Eng-Tips's functionality depends on members receiving e-mail. By joining you are opting in to receive e-mail.

Posting Guidelines

Promoting, selling, recruiting, coursework and thesis posting is forbidden.

Students Click Here

Strange mounting system?

Strange mounting system?

Strange mounting system?

Anyone ever seen this type of mounting system? Aluminum hollow tubes with 4 slits and a set screw in the center to spread the tube in order to tighten. This is how a robotic arm is mounted. My problem is i am trying to find a tool that is made for this to spread the 4 slits in order to get the set screw to start catching threads. I fought with this for hours having to use 4 small jeweler screwdrivers to spread it before being able to start the set screw. I'm thinking there must be a tool or better system.

RE: Strange mounting system?

These are reminiscent of Hughes adjusters. You likely require a hollow tool that adjusts the outer screw that acts as a positioning adjustment. The inner hex socket set screw is used as a jam screw to prevent the positioning adjuster from moving under normal usage.

Note that the position adjuster is not intended to do anything more than to set a position and is normally not loaded; the concentric tool keeps the adjuster from moving while you crank down on the the set screw.

TTFN (ta ta for now)
I can do absolutely anything. I'm an expert! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BKorP55Aqvg
FAQ731-376: Eng-Tips.com Forum Policies forum1529: Translation Assistance for Engineers Entire Forum list http://www.eng-tips.com/forumlist.cfm

RE: Strange mounting system?

Is there already such a tool otherwise we would have to make it

RE: Strange mounting system?

Have you checked to see if maybe the screws are really pipe plugs?
They are tapered.

RE: Strange mounting system?

It appear that Allen wrenches may do the job as it appears that you have set screws. A similar type of fasteners were incorporated in a pair of my old downhill ski boots.

Red Flag This Post

Please let us know here why this post is inappropriate. Reasons such as off-topic, duplicates, flames, illegal, vulgar, or students posting their homework.

Red Flag Submitted

Thank you for helping keep Eng-Tips Forums free from inappropriate posts.
The Eng-Tips staff will check this out and take appropriate action.

Reply To This Thread

Posting in the Eng-Tips forums is a member-only feature.

Click Here to join Eng-Tips and talk with other members! Already a Member? Login


Close Box

Join Eng-Tips® Today!

Join your peers on the Internet's largest technical engineering professional community.
It's easy to join and it's free.

Here's Why Members Love Eng-Tips Forums:

Register now while it's still free!

Already a member? Close this window and log in.

Join Us             Close