Log In

Come Join Us!

Are you an
Engineering professional?
Join Eng-Tips Forums!
  • Talk With Other Members
  • Be Notified Of Responses
    To Your Posts
  • Keyword Search
  • One-Click Access To Your
    Favorite Forums
  • Automated Signatures
    On Your Posts
  • Best Of All, It's Free!
  • Students Click Here

*Eng-Tips's functionality depends on members receiving e-mail. By joining you are opting in to receive e-mail.

Posting Guidelines

Promoting, selling, recruiting, coursework and thesis posting is forbidden.

Students Click Here


R stamp requirement for Exchanger

R stamp requirement for Exchanger

R stamp requirement for Exchanger

Dear friends...
we Had one tubular heat exchanger with the partition plate passing and the procees is directly passing from inlet to out let(First pass- Fourth pass.It was identified as the partition plate on the head is not having enough length to hold the gasket and there is gap observed with partition plate face and gasket. The exchanger is designed in accordance with ASME VIII DIV / TEMA .

1. For the weld build up on the partition plate surface, R stamp is required or not?
2. Partition plate is coming under the pressure boundary or not?
3. On exchanger normally what type of repair required R stamp?

Please share your ideas which will support to resolve the issue.

RE: R stamp requirement for Exchanger

The partition plate itself is not pressure retaining, as the shell or heads or tubes, which would require an R-Stamp. An R-Stamp would not be required for weld restoration of a partition plate. However, I would strongly recommend you use a repair organization that possesses an R-Certificate. Why? Knowledge of using the correct welding procedure, documentation of the repair and review of the repair process by the 3rd party (the R-Certificate's Inspector).

RE: R stamp requirement for Exchanger

Thanks for your valuable information.
Even though still I had some doubt.As I understood, repair carrying out on the pressure part only we required R stamp, So how we can correctly define the pressure boundary.
What about Tube plugging or re tubing which will comes under the R stamp requirement or not?

RE: R stamp requirement for Exchanger

Tube plugging is now in the 2015 Edition of the NBIC. The pressure boundary is the material exposed to containing pressure either internal or external. Examples include, shell, heads, tubesheet, tubes, etc

Red Flag This Post

Please let us know here why this post is inappropriate. Reasons such as off-topic, duplicates, flames, illegal, vulgar, or students posting their homework.

Red Flag Submitted

Thank you for helping keep Eng-Tips Forums free from inappropriate posts.
The Eng-Tips staff will check this out and take appropriate action.

Reply To This Thread

Posting in the Eng-Tips forums is a member-only feature.

Click Here to join Eng-Tips and talk with other members!


Close Box

Join Eng-Tips® Today!

Join your peers on the Internet's largest technical engineering professional community.
It's easy to join and it's free.

Here's Why Members Love Eng-Tips Forums:

Register now while it's still free!

Already a member? Close this window and log in.

Join Us             Close