Log In

Come Join Us!

Are you an
Engineering professional?
Join Eng-Tips Forums!
  • Talk With Other Members
  • Be Notified Of Responses
    To Your Posts
  • Keyword Search
  • One-Click Access To Your
    Favorite Forums
  • Automated Signatures
    On Your Posts
  • Best Of All, It's Free!
  • Students Click Here

*Eng-Tips's functionality depends on members receiving e-mail. By joining you are opting in to receive e-mail.

Posting Guidelines

Promoting, selling, recruiting, coursework and thesis posting is forbidden.

Students Click Here


Pipe Jacking Excavation Machine Operator Question

Pipe Jacking Excavation Machine Operator Question

Pipe Jacking Excavation Machine Operator Question

Hi Eng-Tips members, hope you are doing well. I am writing to obtain information regarding the list of requirements, training, and certifications that a Pipe Jacking Excavation Machine Operator needs to have in order to work underground and operate a machine.

Information would greatly be appreciated.

Thank you in advanced for any assistance.

RE: Pipe Jacking Excavation Machine Operator Question

Reminds me of a job done on the lot next door to me where a house will be built. The gas line was installed from across the street to some distance into the lot at an existing foundation. It was done with what I'd call a mole. Now what sort of training, etc. do you suppose is needed when that street has buried utilities under it, some boulders and varying soil conditions? Take any somewhat unique job and answer what is required to have it done right with no problems. I'd want the person to have started as a helper years back and gradually worked his way up to be in charge of the work. Lacking that,there might be a course and on-hands training by some group, such as a university that will delve into special work positions. I know this have been done to train installers of underground fuel tanks.

RE: Pipe Jacking Excavation Machine Operator Question

I agree with Oldestguy, experience and good sound judgement are all import in this work. I would talk with some contractors who do the kind and size of work you are talking about as to the kind of training and experience they req’r. I would talk with the manufacturers of the various pieces of equip. which would be used, again type of work and size can change everything. Pipe dia. can vary from a few inches to many feet in dia., and soil conditions can vary drastically, and determine methods and equip. used. The underground construction and tunneling industries have several different organizations/associations which offer education and training in various methods, and many of the equipment manuf’ers. offer training on their own equip. and the special needs and features there equip.

Red Flag This Post

Please let us know here why this post is inappropriate. Reasons such as off-topic, duplicates, flames, illegal, vulgar, or students posting their homework.

Red Flag Submitted

Thank you for helping keep Eng-Tips Forums free from inappropriate posts.
The Eng-Tips staff will check this out and take appropriate action.

Reply To This Thread

Posting in the Eng-Tips forums is a member-only feature.

Click Here to join Eng-Tips and talk with other members!


Close Box

Join Eng-Tips® Today!

Join your peers on the Internet's largest technical engineering professional community.
It's easy to join and it's free.

Here's Why Members Love Eng-Tips Forums:

Register now while it's still free!

Already a member? Close this window and log in.

Join Us             Close