Log In

Come Join Us!

Are you an
Engineering professional?
Join Eng-Tips Forums!
  • Talk With Other Members
  • Be Notified Of Responses
    To Your Posts
  • Keyword Search
  • One-Click Access To Your
    Favorite Forums
  • Automated Signatures
    On Your Posts
  • Best Of All, It's Free!
  • Students Click Here

*Eng-Tips's functionality depends on members receiving e-mail. By joining you are opting in to receive e-mail.

Posting Guidelines

Promoting, selling, recruiting, coursework and thesis posting is forbidden.

Students Click Here


U Occupancy

U Occupancy

U Occupancy

I have a 780 sq.ft. pool equipment building classified as a U occupancy under the 2013 California Fire Code. Code analysis suggest a design/build fire sprinkler system per NFPA 13. In our opinion a fire sprinkler system in not required. Group U isn't addressed very well as needing protection in the IFC 903.2 section. The best I could find is 903.2.11 to suggest fire sprinkler protection is not required. I'm trying to convince the architect it is not required. Any advice?

RE: U Occupancy

1 stand alone building or attached to a building ?

2 any pool chemical storage?? If so what and how much?

3 ""Code analysis suggest a design/build fire sprinkler system per NFPA 13. "" who is doing the analysis and why is it thought to be needed??

RE: U Occupancy

A Group U doesn't require an automatic sprinkler system so long as its height and area isn't exceeded. The sprinkler issue may be driven by the stored hazardous materials or it could be a local amendment by the Fire Department or Fire Authority. Some water disinfecting chemicals are Oxidizers and most all are Corrosives. The Maximum Allowable Quantity (MAQ) per Control Area values in IFC Table 5003.1.1(1) for physical hazard hazmats sets the MAQ for the respective classes of oxidizers; Table 5003.1.1(2) sets the MAQ for Corrosive and/or Toxic materials, depending on its physical state.

More than likely the jurisdiction will require an IFC Hazardous Materials permit and IFC Section 5001.5. Being in California, this can be the Certified Unified Program Authority, which could be the Fire Department or Health Department, depending on the County. As part of the permit, a hazardous materials inventory statements (HMIS) will need to be generated. The HMIS can be compared to the MAQs to determine if your client is exceeding the quantity limits. Note that an automatic sprinkler system is not the only option allowed by the IFC to increase the MAQ, meaning an automatic sprinkler system isn't required in all cases.

If the inventory is short (<4 chemicals) I can offer a better opinion.

RE: U Occupancy

Thank you for the guidance, because of the stored chemicals in the stand alone pool building, AHJ has required fire sprinkler protection.

RE: U Occupancy

Should have asked

Is this building for a pool on site

Or just to store a lot of pool chemicals??

Red Flag This Post

Please let us know here why this post is inappropriate. Reasons such as off-topic, duplicates, flames, illegal, vulgar, or students posting their homework.

Red Flag Submitted

Thank you for helping keep Eng-Tips Forums free from inappropriate posts.
The Eng-Tips staff will check this out and take appropriate action.

Reply To This Thread

Posting in the Eng-Tips forums is a member-only feature.

Click Here to join Eng-Tips and talk with other members!


Close Box

Join Eng-Tips® Today!

Join your peers on the Internet's largest technical engineering professional community.
It's easy to join and it's free.

Here's Why Members Love Eng-Tips Forums:

Register now while it's still free!

Already a member? Close this window and log in.

Join Us             Close