Log In

Come Join Us!

Are you an
Engineering professional?
Join Eng-Tips Forums!
  • Talk With Other Members
  • Be Notified Of Responses
    To Your Posts
  • Keyword Search
  • One-Click Access To Your
    Favorite Forums
  • Automated Signatures
    On Your Posts
  • Best Of All, It's Free!
  • Students Click Here

*Eng-Tips's functionality depends on members receiving e-mail. By joining you are opting in to receive e-mail.

Posting Guidelines

Promoting, selling, recruiting, coursework and thesis posting is forbidden.

Students Click Here


Heavy Duty Truck LPG/Propane Fuel Tanks in Canada and USA - CSA B149.5 and NFPA 58

Heavy Duty Truck LPG/Propane Fuel Tanks in Canada and USA - CSA B149.5 and NFPA 58

Heavy Duty Truck LPG/Propane Fuel Tanks in Canada and USA - CSA B149.5 and NFPA 58

I work for a company which manufactures trucks that are essentially class 8 heavy duty tractors. These are designed and manufactured to meet the CMVSS (Canada Motor Vehicle Safety Standards) and FMVSS (US Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standards) requirements. I am curious if fuel tanks, intended for the main vehicle engine and its propulsion, in Canada are required to be CSA B51 only or if an ASME vessel can be accepted on vehicles in Canada. I have a good amount of manufacturing specific experience (6 years) within ASME Sec. VII, ASME B31.X, and some CSA world in my past career. I recall that we would need CRN (Canadian Registration Numbers) in certain cases for products going to Canada and I believe that will be the case with tanks/vessels going on trucks in Canada based on confirmation of information from the TSSA (Technical Standards and Safety Authority).

Primary applicable standards in the US - FMVSS (49 CFR 571), 49 CFR 393, NFPA 58, ASME by reference in NFPA
(FMVSS does not address HD vehicle LPG fuel systems at this time, meaning >10,000 lbs)
Primary applicable standards in the Canada - CMVSS, CSA B149.5, CSA B51 by reference in CSA B149.5
(CMVSS addresses vehicles >4,536 kg or 10,000 lbs but has options to meet the requirements. For us we are only considering the 3rd listed which is to comply with CSA B149.5, otherwise there is a significant amount of crash barrier testing etc. that must be performed.)

At any rate... my main question:
Can an ASME container/vessel designed and manufactured for use on a vehicle in the US be used on a vehicle in Canada?

Red Flag This Post

Please let us know here why this post is inappropriate. Reasons such as off-topic, duplicates, flames, illegal, vulgar, or students posting their homework.

Red Flag Submitted

Thank you for helping keep Eng-Tips Forums free from inappropriate posts.
The Eng-Tips staff will check this out and take appropriate action.

Reply To This Thread

Posting in the Eng-Tips forums is a member-only feature.

Click Here to join Eng-Tips and talk with other members!


Close Box

Join Eng-Tips® Today!

Join your peers on the Internet's largest technical engineering professional community.
It's easy to join and it's free.

Here's Why Members Love Eng-Tips Forums:

Register now while it's still free!

Already a member? Close this window and log in.

Join Us             Close