Log In

Come Join Us!

Are you an
Engineering professional?
Join Eng-Tips Forums!
  • Talk With Other Members
  • Be Notified Of Responses
    To Your Posts
  • Keyword Search
  • One-Click Access To Your
    Favorite Forums
  • Automated Signatures
    On Your Posts
  • Best Of All, It's Free!
  • Students Click Here

*Eng-Tips's functionality depends on members receiving e-mail. By joining you are opting in to receive e-mail.

Posting Guidelines

Promoting, selling, recruiting, coursework and thesis posting is forbidden.

Students Click Here

E & O Insurance and Contracts for PV Designer

E & O Insurance and Contracts for PV Designer

E & O Insurance and Contracts for PV Designer

As a PE, I have been designing pressure vessels for some time now at my current employer. I want to start testing the waters and do some work on the side for myself. I’m looking for advice from anyone who has come before me on this kind of endeavor. Just to be clear I want to start small on vessel that solely fit within the rules of Sec. VIII D1. I have design vessel by analysis using part 5 of D2 however I really can't justify a license for the required software until I am ready to go all in. COMPRESS offers a month to month license and I have been getting very familiar with their interface add on for Solidworks and Inventor. I am able to produce a complete design package for a simple vessel (including drawings) faster than ever which has me wondering why I am not working for myself when I see what my company is charging for something I can do over the weekend.

With that said I am trying to compile quotes for professional liability insurance. This has proven to be more difficult than I thought. Does anyone with a similar circumstance have an agent or company they can recommend? I tried to go through ASME but their partner company was not too keen on me taking on clients from the oil and gas industry. It could also be that I do not have a specific client list or prior history as a self-employed consultant. Also, I am finding out that a big part of getting good insurance premiums is to document, document, and document. Therefore, any advice that can help me draft a legal binding document between myself and a potential client would also be very helpful.

Thanks for your time.

Red Flag This Post

Please let us know here why this post is inappropriate. Reasons such as off-topic, duplicates, flames, illegal, vulgar, or students posting their homework.

Red Flag Submitted

Thank you for helping keep Eng-Tips Forums free from inappropriate posts.
The Eng-Tips staff will check this out and take appropriate action.

Reply To This Thread

Posting in the Eng-Tips forums is a member-only feature.

Click Here to join Eng-Tips and talk with other members! Already a Member? Login


Close Box

Join Eng-Tips® Today!

Join your peers on the Internet's largest technical engineering professional community.
It's easy to join and it's free.

Here's Why Members Love Eng-Tips Forums:

Register now while it's still free!

Already a member? Close this window and log in.

Join Us             Close