Log In

Come Join Us!

Are you an
Engineering professional?
Join Eng-Tips Forums!
  • Talk With Other Members
  • Be Notified Of Responses
    To Your Posts
  • Keyword Search
  • One-Click Access To Your
    Favorite Forums
  • Automated Signatures
    On Your Posts
  • Best Of All, It's Free!

*Eng-Tips's functionality depends on members receiving e-mail. By joining you are opting in to receive e-mail.

Posting Guidelines

Promoting, selling, recruiting, coursework and thesis posting is forbidden.

Students Click Here

masking material

masking material

masking material

Looking for suggestion for masking material to protect edges that I wish not to coat with epoxy.  I want a  material that is somewhat porous and will keep the epoxy from pooling at the edges.  Also, can anyone suggest a good automated masking technology?  Thanks in advance.

RE: masking material

There are many kinds of tape that you can use; here are a couple of suppliers:

I'm not sure why you can't use regular (cheap) masking tape, but don't know your part size and shape or if you will cure by baking. Sometimes, both for mass production and absorbent backing (you mentioned 'porous'), small flat parts are placed in rows on double sided tape on big sheets of paper for painting. After dry to touch, turned to paint the reverse side.

Not sure what kind of automated system you are looking for; people use conventional roll type applicators for tape.  Where large coils are plated or coated at high speed, they use rollers to block liquids.
Check Metal Finishing or Products Finishing for ideas:

RE: masking material

You may simply need a "custom" designed mask.  There are companies that exist who do this for a living.  It is very important to use a company that supplies mainly "custom designed" masking.  There are some manufacturers that mainly supply "standard" masking who also dabble in custom "beware".

You can find these companies via internet by searching under key words such as: custom masking, custom powder masking, powdercoat masking, custom caps and plugs, etc.

Red Flag This Post

Please let us know here why this post is inappropriate. Reasons such as off-topic, duplicates, flames, illegal, vulgar, or students posting their homework.

Red Flag Submitted

Thank you for helping keep Eng-Tips Forums free from inappropriate posts.
The Eng-Tips staff will check this out and take appropriate action.

Reply To This Thread

Posting in the Eng-Tips forums is a member-only feature.

Click Here to join Eng-Tips and talk with other members! Already a Member? Login


Close Box

Join Eng-Tips® Today!

Join your peers on the Internet's largest technical engineering professional community.
It's easy to join and it's free.

Here's Why Members Love Eng-Tips Forums:

Register now while it's still free!

Already a member? Close this window and log in.

Join Us             Close