Log In

Come Join Us!

Are you an
Engineering professional?
Join Eng-Tips Forums!
  • Talk With Other Members
  • Be Notified Of Responses
    To Your Posts
  • Keyword Search
  • One-Click Access To Your
    Favorite Forums
  • Automated Signatures
    On Your Posts
  • Best Of All, It's Free!
  • Students Click Here

*Eng-Tips's functionality depends on members receiving e-mail. By joining you are opting in to receive e-mail.

Posting Guidelines

Promoting, selling, recruiting, coursework and thesis posting is forbidden.

Students Click Here


Need to find a replacement valve for Hydraulic Ram

Need to find a replacement valve for Hydraulic Ram

Need to find a replacement valve for Hydraulic Ram


This valve is from the 70's. It takes 24 volts DC, and it opens one way. There are 2 valves on the Ram, one goes out, one goes in. Same plate on both. The electric part of it shorted down to .6 ohms, so it blows the fuse, therefore I disconnected it and have a human running it manually with the slide button on the bottom. I wrote the program for this machine using a PLC, and ended up the caretaker of this monster. Since I'm not into hydraulics at all, how does one go about finding a 45 year old replacement? I don't even know what the symbol on the plate means. My knowledge of this is simple, if you put 24 volts on the 2 wires, the ram goes out. 24 volts on the other one, it goes in. Both at same time? Never tried.

Thanks for the help with this in advance.

The customer does not care if it's a RexRoth part, or if we just change the electric part, or the whole valve. It just needs to work. So if you can explain the diagram to me, maybe I can find a part to replace this.


PS: I called RexRoth/Bosch before and got no where with them.

RE: Need to find a replacement valve for Hydraulic Ram

There seem to be 2 valves where 1 could do the job.

That is of course if the valve is sized correctly. It's size 6 valve (CETOP 3) and the modern Bosch Rexroth equivalent is here...


Back in the '70s they may have been stuck for resources or money or ideas or common sense...who knows?

There are lots of alternative suppliers that could help you out. Just give your local hydraulic dealer the part number and let them do the rest.

RE: Need to find a replacement valve for Hydraulic Ram

Thank you, doing that now. I'm not sure why they have 2 valves for this, where other things on this beast use 1 valve for both directions. This valve controls the flow which goes into another hydraulic -> hydraulic valve, so maybe that's why.

In the picture, this valve controls the flow in that 12' tall ram sticking above the building.... Bit off more than I can chew? Maybe.

Serial number on this machine is 00001. 100% custom one off build.

RE: Need to find a replacement valve for Hydraulic Ram

Well count yourself lucky, plenty of folks on this forum would love to have some "play time" on that. I know I would...

RE: Need to find a replacement valve for Hydraulic Ram


New controller I put in it. Click PLC. Thanks for the help, some guy in Utah called me back, he had the coil part in stock. Amazing... $28.00 + shipping.

Red Flag This Post

Please let us know here why this post is inappropriate. Reasons such as off-topic, duplicates, flames, illegal, vulgar, or students posting their homework.

Red Flag Submitted

Thank you for helping keep Eng-Tips Forums free from inappropriate posts.
The Eng-Tips staff will check this out and take appropriate action.

Reply To This Thread

Posting in the Eng-Tips forums is a member-only feature.

Click Here to join Eng-Tips and talk with other members!


Close Box

Join Eng-Tips® Today!

Join your peers on the Internet's largest technical engineering professional community.
It's easy to join and it's free.

Here's Why Members Love Eng-Tips Forums:

Register now while it's still free!

Already a member? Close this window and log in.

Join Us             Close