Log In

Come Join Us!

Are you an
Engineering professional?
Join Eng-Tips Forums!
  • Talk With Other Members
  • Be Notified Of Responses
    To Your Posts
  • Keyword Search
  • One-Click Access To Your
    Favorite Forums
  • Automated Signatures
    On Your Posts
  • Best Of All, It's Free!
  • Students Click Here

*Eng-Tips's functionality depends on members receiving e-mail. By joining you are opting in to receive e-mail.

Posting Guidelines

Promoting, selling, recruiting, coursework and thesis posting is forbidden.

Students Click Here


Positioning system for skips

Positioning system for skips

Positioning system for skips

We need to position skips* to within a few (~10?) cm on level ground. I've seen positioning systems for roll on/off containers, these were horizontal guide rails on the ground and presumably the container is pushed between them.

Skips are lowered onto the ground from above:

Image source: http://www.loacker.cc/hu/stoffstroeme/dienstleistu...

At first glance, a few bars jutting from the ground at an angle (to form a funnel) could do the trick. From looking at videos the skips swing when beeing set down. The bars would need a coating with PE or a similar soft(er than metal) and tough material.

I don't want to invent something as I'm sure this is a solved problem. So far my googling hasn't brought me to a solution. What to do when your skip needs exact placements?

I'm lookingfor an actual product that does this or at least a few good pictures and further info so I can properly spec. and tender the thing.

*This is, I think, the UK english term. I'm talking about the specific container as seen in the image, do USians also call them skips?

RE: Positioning system for skips

Here's the idea I will go with for now:
triangular profiles bolted to the ground along the long sides + 2 smaller ones on the back side
Profiles in galavanized steel, side facing the skip gets a PE plate mounted on it (wear protection).


RE: Positioning system for skips

First time that I observed the term USian. I prefer USonian, something that I believe Frank Lloyd Wright coined, but never caught on.

The term that we use is dumpster.

A heavy rail surrounding the dumpster is probably adequate. Don't believe that there is any standard size for dumpster. One would have to work with the particular refuse hauler and get the dumpster dimensions.

Red Flag This Post

Please let us know here why this post is inappropriate. Reasons such as off-topic, duplicates, flames, illegal, vulgar, or students posting their homework.

Red Flag Submitted

Thank you for helping keep Eng-Tips Forums free from inappropriate posts.
The Eng-Tips staff will check this out and take appropriate action.

Reply To This Thread

Posting in the Eng-Tips forums is a member-only feature.

Click Here to join Eng-Tips and talk with other members!


Close Box

Join Eng-Tips® Today!

Join your peers on the Internet's largest technical engineering professional community.
It's easy to join and it's free.

Here's Why Members Love Eng-Tips Forums:

Register now while it's still free!

Already a member? Close this window and log in.

Join Us             Close