Log In

Come Join Us!

Are you an
Engineering professional?
Join Eng-Tips Forums!
  • Talk With Other Members
  • Be Notified Of Responses
    To Your Posts
  • Keyword Search
  • One-Click Access To Your
    Favorite Forums
  • Automated Signatures
    On Your Posts
  • Best Of All, It's Free!
  • Students Click Here

*Eng-Tips's functionality depends on members receiving e-mail. By joining you are opting in to receive e-mail.

Posting Guidelines

Promoting, selling, recruiting, coursework and thesis posting is forbidden.

Students Click Here


certficate required of psv

certficate required of psv

certficate required of psv

dear all,
What are the certificates required from a manufacture while procuring a PSV?

RE: certficate required of psv

All I've ever got is a Functional Test Report, which indicates if the valve has passed: seat tightness test, secondary zone pressure test, what the pop pressure was, what the reseat pressure was, who did the test, the capacity rating, the serial number, the NB cert # etc.

Some manufacturers also provide a Certificate of Conformance/Compliance, but some don't. You can also get MTRs for material traceability, and a copy of the hydrotest report.

RE: certficate required of psv

It depends where the installation is and what the purchase order states (agreed with vendor).

met11 Has stated typically what you can expect for a USA installation (ie., ASME). Say the installation is in an EUrope country, then the mandatory requirement has additional requirements. This is due to the Pressure Equipment Directive law PED 97/23/EC for all safety valves above 0.5 bar. These include, the manufacturers PED certificate for the item and instructions in the language of the end installation. Some (all) manufacturers provide material certification to EN 10254 3.1 (CMTR's) for the PED defined pressure containing parts (often including nozzle, disc and cap etc) as well as hydrostatic test reports of those parts (incl body and bonnet. All of these can be a commercial issue (ie., paid for) dependant on the vendor). In many cases certification acc to ASME and PED has been requested. I have seen orders where ASME VIII, PED, Stoomwezen (Dutch steam law) has had all been specified by the customer including additional specification such as non destructive testing such as radiography of body casting, positive material identification of critical parts etc. Basically. the purchaser should specify what is required and understand what he will get as standard which the vendor should state in the quotation. Requesting afterwards may be not available at all.

This dialog is not covering customer and/or third part inspections if required.

(For EUrope, besides PED, it is mandated that the rules for ATEX are also simultaneously applied (use of product in explosive atmospheres). This will be additional paperwork stating certified limits (temperature) in defined zones.

Hope that helps.

Per ISO, only the term Safety Valve is used for all overpressure eventualities regardless of design.

Red Flag This Post

Please let us know here why this post is inappropriate. Reasons such as off-topic, duplicates, flames, illegal, vulgar, or students posting their homework.

Red Flag Submitted

Thank you for helping keep Eng-Tips Forums free from inappropriate posts.
The Eng-Tips staff will check this out and take appropriate action.

Reply To This Thread

Posting in the Eng-Tips forums is a member-only feature.

Click Here to join Eng-Tips and talk with other members!


Close Box

Join Eng-Tips® Today!

Join your peers on the Internet's largest technical engineering professional community.
It's easy to join and it's free.

Here's Why Members Love Eng-Tips Forums:

Register now while it's still free!

Already a member? Close this window and log in.

Join Us             Close