Log In

Come Join Us!

Are you an
Engineering professional?
Join Eng-Tips Forums!
  • Talk With Other Members
  • Be Notified Of Responses
    To Your Posts
  • Keyword Search
  • One-Click Access To Your
    Favorite Forums
  • Automated Signatures
    On Your Posts
  • Best Of All, It's Free!
  • Students Click Here

*Eng-Tips's functionality depends on members receiving e-mail. By joining you are opting in to receive e-mail.

Posting Guidelines

Promoting, selling, recruiting, coursework and thesis posting is forbidden.

Students Click Here


Structural precast detailling

Structural precast detailling

Structural precast detailling

Hoping that someone out there can help .
I have recently started with a small bespoke precast company who specialise in curved stairs etc . I am trying to source someone who can produce the structural reinforcement details and production drawingsfor individual units ( CAD drawings ) , and secondly if we were to employ a person to produce these drawings inhouse , what qualifications would they require and what form of insurance would the company need to provide ? Any help would be appreciated

RE: Structural precast detailling

Your potential hire would need a license to practice as a professional structural engineer in the jurisdictions where you plan to install product. And you'd need to provide errors and omissions insurance, the details of which you would need to negotiate with your insurer. It sounds like a pretty cool gig actually. Bespoke precast engineer...sexy.

I like to debate structural engineering theory -- a lot. If I challenge you on something, know that I'm doing so because I respect your opinion enough to either change it or adopt it.

RE: Structural precast detailling

hanks for that KootK . As I am in the UK I would expect that the errors and omissions insurance would be similar to public / company liability insurance .Hopefully if that is the case , I would be able to employ a structural engineer who was covered by the parent companys public liability insurance .

RE: Structural precast detailling

Typically engineering errors and omissions insurance is not covered by general liability and can be somewhat pricey.

The company I worked for consulted with me for about 5 year before just hiring me in-house. While it's probably more expensive than having an outside engineering consultant, the benefits of having an engineer readily available definitely seems worth it.

Professional and Structural Engineer (ME, NH)
American Concrete Industries

Red Flag This Post

Please let us know here why this post is inappropriate. Reasons such as off-topic, duplicates, flames, illegal, vulgar, or students posting their homework.

Red Flag Submitted

Thank you for helping keep Eng-Tips Forums free from inappropriate posts.
The Eng-Tips staff will check this out and take appropriate action.

Reply To This Thread

Posting in the Eng-Tips forums is a member-only feature.

Click Here to join Eng-Tips and talk with other members!


Close Box

Join Eng-Tips® Today!

Join your peers on the Internet's largest technical engineering professional community.
It's easy to join and it's free.

Here's Why Members Love Eng-Tips Forums:

Register now while it's still free!

Already a member? Close this window and log in.

Join Us             Close