Contact US

Log In

Come Join Us!

Are you an
Engineering professional?
Join Eng-Tips Forums!
  • Talk With Other Members
  • Be Notified Of Responses
    To Your Posts
  • Keyword Search
  • One-Click Access To Your
    Favorite Forums
  • Automated Signatures
    On Your Posts
  • Best Of All, It's Free!

*Eng-Tips's functionality depends on members receiving e-mail. By joining you are opting in to receive e-mail.

Posting Guidelines

Promoting, selling, recruiting, coursework and thesis posting is forbidden.

Students Click Here

Separate Service Feeder to Fire Pump

Separate Service Feeder to Fire Pump

Separate Service Feeder to Fire Pump

Per Canadian Electrical Code, a separate service feeder ahead of the main building disconnect or a separate service directly from the utility transformer is required for the fire pump. Having said that I have seen many installations where the fire pump is fed from a branch lockable breaker from the service entrance board. I couldn't find anywhere or any code/regulation that accepts above practice. Can somebody shed some lights when and what instances above practice is acceptable? Thanks

RE: Separate Service Feeder to Fire Pump

Start checking older editions of the CEC until you find when the requirement was put into the code. The non-compliant installations probably predate the code rule.

"Why not the best?"
Jimmy Carter

RE: Separate Service Feeder to Fire Pump

The fire department and the electrical safety authority have accepted such installations even as last year. The requirement was introduced to the code almost at the same time it was introduced to NFPA70. Does anybody know if the fire pump is backed up by an Emergency generator, a waiver is warranted to NOT adhere to stringent requirement of feeding the pump with utility power from line side of service disconnect?

RE: Separate Service Feeder to Fire Pump

I see following thread where RBULSARA stated having an emergency generator makes the rule (to feed the fie pump from the line side of the service) less stringent or even not required. Does anybody know if there's such a rule or document?


Red Flag This Post

Please let us know here why this post is inappropriate. Reasons such as off-topic, duplicates, flames, illegal, vulgar, or students posting their homework.

Red Flag Submitted

Thank you for helping keep Eng-Tips Forums free from inappropriate posts.
The Eng-Tips staff will check this out and take appropriate action.

Reply To This Thread

Posting in the Eng-Tips forums is a member-only feature.

Click Here to join Eng-Tips and talk with other members! Already a Member? Login


Low-Volume Rapid Injection Molding With 3D Printed Molds
Learn methods and guidelines for using stereolithography (SLA) 3D printed molds in the injection molding process to lower costs and lead time. Discover how this hybrid manufacturing process enables on-demand mold fabrication to quickly produce small batches of thermoplastic parts. Download Now
Design for Additive Manufacturing (DfAM)
Examine how the principles of DfAM upend many of the long-standing rules around manufacturability - allowing engineers and designers to place a part’s function at the center of their design considerations. Download Now
Taking Control of Engineering Documents
This ebook covers tips for creating and managing workflows, security best practices and protection of intellectual property, Cloud vs. on-premise software solutions, CAD file management, compliance, and more. Download Now

Close Box

Join Eng-Tips® Today!

Join your peers on the Internet's largest technical engineering professional community.
It's easy to join and it's free.

Here's Why Members Love Eng-Tips Forums:

Register now while it's still free!

Already a member? Close this window and log in.

Join Us             Close