Contact US

Log In

Come Join Us!

Are you an
Engineering professional?
Join Eng-Tips Forums!
  • Talk With Other Members
  • Be Notified Of Responses
    To Your Posts
  • Keyword Search
  • One-Click Access To Your
    Favorite Forums
  • Automated Signatures
    On Your Posts
  • Best Of All, It's Free!

*Eng-Tips's functionality depends on members receiving e-mail. By joining you are opting in to receive e-mail.

Posting Guidelines

Promoting, selling, recruiting, coursework and thesis posting is forbidden.

Students Click Here

Barrel control

Barrel control

Barrel control


I am working on a pond retrofit, where the 5.5' culvert will not be replaced and is not a design variable- but the riser structure may be modified to provide water quality benefits. The reviewing agencies will be looking to see if there is barrel control prior to riser orifice flow... my output summary never says barrel control for the culvert. The rectangular and circular orifice always say they are controlling, and for some storm events say that they pass X cfs potential flow. I am not sure what I should be looking for in my pond summary to be sure I have barrel control. Will the output table actually read as "barrel control" for the culvert? I have worked through several iterations of riser configurations in order to see the results change to barrel control...but it doesn't seem to change.

Please let me know if I will actually get a 'barrel control' output when properly configured.


RE: Barrel control

If the device summary says that the culvert "passes xx of yy capacity" it means that the culvert is not NOT the control point, and the pond outflow is being controlled by the riser inlets.

As an experiment, you can increase the riser inlet capacity to the point where the culvert is controlling. Or decrease the size of the culvert. The report will then show the exact type of flow control (inlet, barrel, outlet, etc)

Peter Smart
HydroCAD Software

RE: Barrel control

thank you so much for your response. I figured it out now!

a separate question - I need to print out a table with the elevation-discharge of the individual outlets in my riser structure. Is there a way to get this table printed? I see that there is only the option for elevation-discharge for the primary outflow right now. any info you have will be appreciated.


RE: Barrel control

HydroCAD only stores the final stage-discharge table for each outflow. However, if you examine the composite stage-discharge you can generally see the transition points between the devices. If you want to see the individual devices separately, setup a dummy pond with the devices routed separately (primary, secondary, etc) and you will get a separate table for each device. Tip: Use Ctrl-Drag to make a copy of the current pond and edit the device routing.

Peter Smart
HydroCAD Software

Red Flag This Post

Please let us know here why this post is inappropriate. Reasons such as off-topic, duplicates, flames, illegal, vulgar, or students posting their homework.

Red Flag Submitted

Thank you for helping keep Eng-Tips Forums free from inappropriate posts.
The Eng-Tips staff will check this out and take appropriate action.

Reply To This Thread

Posting in the Eng-Tips forums is a member-only feature.

Click Here to join Eng-Tips and talk with other members! Already a Member? Login


Close Box

Join Eng-Tips® Today!

Join your peers on the Internet's largest technical engineering professional community.
It's easy to join and it's free.

Here's Why Members Love Eng-Tips Forums:

Register now while it's still free!

Already a member? Close this window and log in.

Join Us             Close