×
INTELLIGENT WORK FORUMS
FOR ENGINEERING PROFESSIONALS

Log In

Come Join Us!

Are you an
Engineering professional?
Join Eng-Tips Forums!
  • Talk With Other Members
  • Be Notified Of Responses
    To Your Posts
  • Keyword Search
  • One-Click Access To Your
    Favorite Forums
  • Automated Signatures
    On Your Posts
  • Best Of All, It's Free!
  • Students Click Here

*Eng-Tips's functionality depends on members receiving e-mail. By joining you are opting in to receive e-mail.

Posting Guidelines

Promoting, selling, recruiting, coursework and thesis posting is forbidden.

Students Click Here

Jobs

Vapour pressure of Ammonia: Ammonia solution under pressure
2

Vapour pressure of Ammonia: Ammonia solution under pressure

Vapour pressure of Ammonia: Ammonia solution under pressure

(OP)
I have a system where aqueous ammonia is heated under pressure.
Solubility of ammonia drops from 33% at 0°C to 16% at 60°C at normal atmospheric pressure.
The system is under pressure of 10 bars.
Can I predict how much ammonia remain dissolved in solution?
If so, how?

RE: Vapour pressure of Ammonia: Ammonia solution under pressure

Just find the water-ammonia phase diagram.

RE: Vapour pressure of Ammonia: Ammonia solution under pressure

Aqueous ammonia equilibrium data is in Perry's too.

Good luck,
Latexman

Need help writing a question or understanding a reply? forum1529: Translation Assistance for Engineers

RE: Vapour pressure of Ammonia: Ammonia solution under pressure

(OP)
If my system is under 10 bars, and the vapour pressure of ammonia is 2 bars, how does the equilibrium work out?
Would one fifth of my ammonia turn into gas?

RE: Vapour pressure of Ammonia: Ammonia solution under pressure

We really need more information on the system. Total volume, initial liquid volume, volume for vapor. What is providing the 10 bar of pressure?

Look at "Vapor Pressure of Solutions" in Perry's.

For a rough answer, usually the inventory in the vapor space of a closed system is negligible (it may not be in your case). If negligible, I would expect 33 wt. % liquid heated to 60 C to have a partial pressure of NH3 = about 4 bar (from Perry's). There would be a small partial pressure of the water that we could probably ignore. So, the liquid would still be about 33% and the vapor about 40% NH3. The other 60% in the vapor is whatever is providing pressure up to 10 bar.

For a more accurate answer, there would have to be a material balance of the two phases and interpolation of equilibrium data.

Good luck,
Latexman

Need help writing a question or understanding a reply? forum1529: Translation Assistance for Engineers

Red Flag This Post

Please let us know here why this post is inappropriate. Reasons such as off-topic, duplicates, flames, illegal, vulgar, or students posting their homework.

Red Flag Submitted

Thank you for helping keep Eng-Tips Forums free from inappropriate posts.
The Eng-Tips staff will check this out and take appropriate action.

Reply To This Thread

Posting in the Eng-Tips forums is a member-only feature.

Click Here to join Eng-Tips and talk with other members! Already a Member? Login


Resources

White Paper - Considerations for choosing a 3D printing technology
The adoption of 3D printing into major companies’ product development life cycles is a testament to the technology’s incredible benefits to consumers, designers, engineers and manufacturers. While traditional production methods have limitations in manufacturability, 3D printing provides unparalleled design freedom due to the additive method of building parts layer by layer. Download Now

Close Box

Join Eng-Tips® Today!

Join your peers on the Internet's largest technical engineering professional community.
It's easy to join and it's free.

Here's Why Members Love Eng-Tips Forums:

Register now while it's still free!

Already a member? Close this window and log in.

Join Us             Close