Log In

Come Join Us!

Are you an
Engineering professional?
Join Eng-Tips Forums!
  • Talk With Other Members
  • Be Notified Of Responses
    To Your Posts
  • Keyword Search
  • One-Click Access To Your
    Favorite Forums
  • Automated Signatures
    On Your Posts
  • Best Of All, It's Free!
  • Students Click Here

*Eng-Tips's functionality depends on members receiving e-mail. By joining you are opting in to receive e-mail.

Posting Guidelines

Promoting, selling, recruiting, coursework and thesis posting is forbidden.

Students Click Here


Type of sheet rubber for special sole

Type of sheet rubber for special sole

Type of sheet rubber for special sole

Please indulge the fact that I am not an engineer. I need help identifying the kind of product that would be appropriate for a custom fabrication project related to sports equipment.

I am a high-performance bowler (left-handed). It is standard practice to have the right shoe with a leather sole (for sliding), and the left sole made of rubber for push-off. (In case you don't know, left-handers slide on their right foot when they deliver the ball). The problem is that the left sole's rubber fails to grip after a short while of collecting dust and smoothing out, and you cannot put any foreign substance or fluid on your shoes for gripping (illegal).

My question is about how I can procure a small thin sheet of very sticky rubber to wrap around my left shoe so that I can get maximum traction, but without scuffing. I was thinking of finding one of those circular jar lid remover pads, but can't find one any anywhere. It could be smooth, with small pips, or a pattern. It should be tough and not shred or flake, but it could wear out and be replaced (it doesn't need to last forever).

My goal is to fabricate a partial wrap-around shoe "skin" where I can position the rubber sheet on the sole just below the toe, and then afix it with velcro on top of the shoe.

What do you suggest? - thx - Steve

RE: Type of sheet rubber for special sole

I first idea would be some kind of soft (40Sh) natural rubber sleeve (normal elastic band but broader) or the same type or rubber used for the tires of radio controlled cars (this can also be NR or a specialed type or rubber (polynorbornene fe)).

Red Flag This Post

Please let us know here why this post is inappropriate. Reasons such as off-topic, duplicates, flames, illegal, vulgar, or students posting their homework.

Red Flag Submitted

Thank you for helping keep Eng-Tips Forums free from inappropriate posts.
The Eng-Tips staff will check this out and take appropriate action.

Reply To This Thread

Posting in the Eng-Tips forums is a member-only feature.

Click Here to join Eng-Tips and talk with other members!


Close Box

Join Eng-Tips® Today!

Join your peers on the Internet's largest technical engineering professional community.
It's easy to join and it's free.

Here's Why Members Love Eng-Tips Forums:

Register now while it's still free!

Already a member? Close this window and log in.

Join Us             Close