Log In

Come Join Us!

Are you an
Engineering professional?
Join Eng-Tips Forums!
  • Talk With Other Members
  • Be Notified Of Responses
    To Your Posts
  • Keyword Search
  • One-Click Access To Your
    Favorite Forums
  • Automated Signatures
    On Your Posts
  • Best Of All, It's Free!
  • Students Click Here

*Eng-Tips's functionality depends on members receiving e-mail. By joining you are opting in to receive e-mail.

Posting Guidelines

Promoting, selling, recruiting, coursework and thesis posting is forbidden.

Students Click Here


Regulatory body in Queensland Australia

Regulatory body in Queensland Australia

Regulatory body in Queensland Australia

I work in Alberta, and here we have the ERCB to regulate the upstream oil and gas industry. Does anyone know if there is an equivalent regulatory body in Queensland, Australia? Or for Australia in general?


RE: Regulatory body in Queensland Australia

I'm in Queensland. We have plenty of regulation here, but to those of us not involved in the oil and gas industry, it is often difficult to know who is responsible for regulating what. Both the State and Federal Governments are involved. What do you mean by "upstream"?

RE: Regulatory body in Queensland Australia

Hi hokie66,

Thank you for your reply. "upstream" meaning wellheads, production facilities (e.g. compressor stations), pipeline gathering systems. For example if we would like to build a pipeline here in Alberta we must apply to the 'board' for a pipeline license. Does such a thing exist in Queensland?

Thanks again for the help

RE: Regulatory body in Queensland Australia

It looks like natural gas facilities, including pipelines, are regulated by the Australian Energy Regulator, part of the Australian Competition and Consumer Commission. For LPG, another body, also part of the ACCC. For oil pipelines, we don't have much of that, and I'm not sure who regulates. Various State and Federal Agencies, including the environmental agencies, play a part, but it looks like the ACCC is the overall regulator.

RE: Regulatory body in Queensland Australia

I'm absolutely positive that theres a governing body for such equipment, we own a Gas Pipeline as part of a generator plant that we operate. However, off the top of my head I don't know what they're called, rather one of our people at work often mentions the 'Gas Inspector' among others.

I'll see if I can find out more.

RE: Regulatory body in Queensland Australia

Not sure what you are seeking, though this may be of use:



RE: Regulatory body in Queensland Australia

Thanks everybody for the help. I'll be sure to check out the above links provided.

If I found out additional information I'll post that as well

RE: Regulatory body in Queensland Australia

Hello everyone,

I found the "Petroleum and Gas Inspectorate of Safety and Health Division", which specifies it is "responsible for regulating and monitoring safety in the gas and petroleum industries". I haven't looked further than that yet, but thought I'd share with everyone,

RE: Regulatory body in Queensland Australia

Hi all,

I'm going through the "Petroleum and Gas (Production & Safety) Act 2004". I believe this piece of legislation will be the answer to many questions. I've also come across a healthy amount of Australian Standards that may be of use to someone working in Oil and Gas. Kindly note that I just begun working in Australia and cannot confirm whether below is pertinent or not. Please check out below

Acts and Regulations
• Professional Engineers Act 2002, and Regulations 2003
• Petroleum and Gas (Production and Safety) Act and Regulations 2004
• Workplace Health and Safety Act and Regulations 2011

AS 4343-2005, Pressure Equipment – Hazard Levels[/li]
HB 203 Environmental risk management - Principles and process[/li]
HB 205 OHS Risk Management Handbook[/li]
AS/NZS ISO 31000 Risk management - Principles and guidelines[/li]
API 521 Guide for Pressure — Relieving and De-pressuring Systems[/li]

• APIA Code Of Practice; Upstream PE Gathering Networks - CSG Industry
• APIA Code of Environmental Practice, Onshore Pipelines
• AS/NZS 4130 Polyethylene (PE) pipes for pressure applications
• AS/NZS 1200 Pressure equipment
• AS 1345 Identification of the Contents of Piping, Conduits and Ducts
• AS/NZS 1554.1 Structural steel welding - Welding of steel structures
• AS 1796 Certification of welders and welding supervisors
• AS 1929 Non-destructive testing - Glossary of terms
• AS 2885.1 Pipelines - Gas and liquid petroleum - Design and construction
• AS/NZS 2885 Pipelines - Gas and liquid petroleum
• AS 4037 Boilers and Pressure Vessels Examination and Testing
• AS 4822 Field Joint Coating
• ASME B31.3 Process Piping
• ASME B16.5 Pipe Flanges and Flanged Fittings
• ASME B16.9 Factory Made Wrought Steel Butt welding Fittings
• ASME B16.10 Face to Face and End to End Dimension of Valves
• ASME B16.20 Metallic Gaskets for Pipe Flanges
• ASME B16.25 Butt welding Ends
• ASME B16.34 Valves — Flanged, Threaded and Welding End
• ASME B36.IOM Welded and Seamless Wrought Steel Pipe
• API5L 41st Ed. Specification for line pipe
• ASME IX Boiler and Pressure Vessel Code, Section IX: Welding Qualifications

Civil & Structural
• AS/NZS 1170 Structural design actions - General principles
• AS/NZS 1170.1 Structural design actions - Permanent imposed and other actions
• AS/NZS 1170.2 Structural design actions - Wind actions
• AS/NZS 1170.4 Structural design actions - Earthquake actions in Australia
• AS/NZS 1554.1 Structural steel welding - Welding of steel structures
• AS 3990 Mechanical equipment - Steelwork
• AS 4100 Steel structures
• AS 4291.1 Mechanical properties of fasteners made of carbon steel and alloy steel
• AS 1012 Methods of Testing Concrete
• AS 1141 Methods of Sampling and Testing Aggregates
• AS 1181 Measurement of civil engineering works and associated building works
• AS 1289 Methods of Testing Soils for Engineering Purposes
• AS 1379 The Specification and Manufacture of Concrete
• AS 2349 Method of sampling Portland and blended cements
• AS/NZS 2350.0 Methods of Testing Portland & Blended Cement
• AS2758.1 Concrete Aggregates
• AS 3600 Concrete Structures
• Building Code of Australia

Electrical & Instrumentation
• AS/NZS 2053 Conduits and Fittings for Electrical Installations.
• ASINZS 2381 Electrical Equipment for Explosive Atmospheres — Selection, Installationand Maintenance.
• AS 2430.1 Classification of hazardous areas - Explosive gas atmospheres
• ASINZS 2430.3.1 Classification of hazardous areas - Area classification — General
• AS/NZS 2430.3.4 Classification of hazardous areas - Area classification — Flammable
• ASINZS 3000 Wiring Rules
• AS/NZS 3147 Electric Cables — Thermoplastic Insulated — 0.6/1kV.
• AS/NZS 3017:2001 Electrical Installations — Testing & Inspection Guidelines.
• AS/NZS 60079-1 Electrical Equipment For Explosive Atmospheres — Flameproof Enclosures
• ASINZS 60079-10 Classification of Hazardous Areas.
• AS/NZS 60079-11 Explosive atmospheres - Equipment Protection by Intrinsic Safety.
• AS/NZS 60529 Degrees Of Protection Provided By Enclosures For Electrical Equipment
• AS 2239-2003 Galvanic (sacrificial) Anodes for Cathodic Protection
• AS 2832.1-2004 Cathodic Protection of Metals — Pipes and Cables
• AS 4832-2007 Cathodic Protection — Installation of Galvanic Sacrificial Anodes in Soil

• Australian Certificate IV PMBWELD301B - Butt weld Polyethylene Pipelines
• Australian Certificate IV PMBWELD302B – Electro fusion weld Polyethylene Pipelines
• AZ/NZS ISO 9001:2008

RE: Regulatory body in Queensland Australia

Hi all,

Does anyone know the answers to some of the questions below?

Are ‘pipeline license’ applications required to build a coal seam gas pipeline in Queensland? According to the Petroleum and Gas (Production and Safety) Act and Regulation of 2004, a pipeline license is required.

- Does one apply for each newly built pipeline? Say from wellhead to existing pipeline?
- Or is there a general license for a certain area, in which you may build pipelines for a certain period without having to apply for each separate pipeline?
- Do new well sites require licenses as well? Or a general area only?
- If any of these applications are required where can I find them?
- How does one harvest data regarding existing pipeline pressures and their maximum operating pressures?
- What’s the main difference between ‘The Petroleum Act 1923’ and the ‘Petroleum and Gas (Production and Safety) Act 2004’ ?
- Do any 'guides' exist to help navigate the upstream petroleum industry in Queensland, Australia?

Thanks everyone!

RE: Regulatory body in Queensland Australia

In addition to the inspectorates website you have posted, the following site contains overall general information, along with some guidelines on apply for licences: Gas regulation and licensing

RE: Regulatory body in Queensland Australia

Thanks very much bernoullies123. It seems they have updated their website.

RE: Regulatory body in Queensland Australia

what is ERCB standed for ?

RE: Regulatory body in Queensland Australia

Hi Shengruilee,

ERCB stands for Energy Resources Conservation Board.

Red Flag This Post

Please let us know here why this post is inappropriate. Reasons such as off-topic, duplicates, flames, illegal, vulgar, or students posting their homework.

Red Flag Submitted

Thank you for helping keep Eng-Tips Forums free from inappropriate posts.
The Eng-Tips staff will check this out and take appropriate action.

Reply To This Thread

Posting in the Eng-Tips forums is a member-only feature.

Click Here to join Eng-Tips and talk with other members!


Close Box

Join Eng-Tips® Today!

Join your peers on the Internet's largest technical engineering professional community.
It's easy to join and it's free.

Here's Why Members Love Eng-Tips Forums:

Register now while it's still free!

Already a member? Close this window and log in.

Join Us             Close