Log In

Come Join Us!

Are you an
Engineering professional?
Join Eng-Tips Forums!
  • Talk With Other Members
  • Be Notified Of Responses
    To Your Posts
  • Keyword Search
  • One-Click Access To Your
    Favorite Forums
  • Automated Signatures
    On Your Posts
  • Best Of All, It's Free!
  • Students Click Here

*Eng-Tips's functionality depends on members receiving e-mail. By joining you are opting in to receive e-mail.

Posting Guidelines

Promoting, selling, recruiting, coursework and thesis posting is forbidden.

Students Click Here


Material certs Japan

Material certs Japan

Material certs Japan

Hi, can anybody tell me how can I see on the material cert. if the material is also usefull into the EU ? the material has been made in Japan, and refers only to the ASTM. and the material manufacturer has been certified acoording iso 9000.

RE: Material certs Japan

I'm not aware that there is a certain type of material certificate necessary for products used in the EU. The problem you might have is that your client will not accept certificates with ASTM references if your documentation towards your client lists ISO numbers. For what do you need the certificates? For internal use only or do you have to present them to your client?

RE: Material certs Japan

micalbrch, Thanks for your reply, this material is part of a new boiler, so the mat.certs have to be submitted to our client on the end. and they have to be accepted by the PED requirements.

RE: Material certs Japan

Aah, okay! That is a completely different background and yes, that can be a problem. My recommendation is the start a new post (with the PED background info) in the Boiler and Pressure Vessel Engineering forum. I beleive that you will get some valuable answers there.  

RE: Material certs Japan

The PED plus it's guidelines will tell you what you need, or what you're 'required' to handover in case of a NoBo.

Mostly EN 10204 3.1 certs, maybe some 2.2 certs for bolting.

The cert's thus have to be EN 10204 3.1 (if it's a pressure vessel in cat I or higher acc PED).

PS: certs handover to client may be contract-mandatory, but PED is compulsory by legislation.  NoBo will accept things, not the PED.

RE: Material certs Japan

please note that if the material is to be used in PED cat. III or IV, the certificate shall be  10204-3.2 If the supplier has a quality system specificly for the fabrication/supply of the applicable material that is approved by a European competent body it may be a 10204-3.1 certificate.

Red Flag This Post

Please let us know here why this post is inappropriate. Reasons such as off-topic, duplicates, flames, illegal, vulgar, or students posting their homework.

Red Flag Submitted

Thank you for helping keep Eng-Tips Forums free from inappropriate posts.
The Eng-Tips staff will check this out and take appropriate action.

Reply To This Thread

Posting in the Eng-Tips forums is a member-only feature.

Click Here to join Eng-Tips and talk with other members!


Close Box

Join Eng-Tips® Today!

Join your peers on the Internet's largest technical engineering professional community.
It's easy to join and it's free.

Here's Why Members Love Eng-Tips Forums:

Register now while it's still free!

Already a member? Close this window and log in.

Join Us             Close