×
INTELLIGENT WORK FORUMS
FOR ENGINEERING PROFESSIONALS

Contact US

Log In

Come Join Us!

Are you an
Engineering professional?
Join Eng-Tips Forums!
  • Talk With Other Members
  • Be Notified Of Responses
    To Your Posts
  • Keyword Search
  • One-Click Access To Your
    Favorite Forums
  • Automated Signatures
    On Your Posts
  • Best Of All, It's Free!

*Eng-Tips's functionality depends on members receiving e-mail. By joining you are opting in to receive e-mail.

Posting Guidelines

Promoting, selling, recruiting, coursework and thesis posting is forbidden.

Students Click Here

Refinery Planning

Refinery Planning

Refinery Planning

(OP)
This question is specifically related to refinery LP and pricing. Hopefully this is the right section to post it.

For our input prices for crude for the current month we use Brent Dtd + the differential on the crude at which the crude can be purchased today for delivery in M+1, 2 etc.. i.e. the so-called replacement value, and not the actual differential at which you purchased the crude.

Likewise, on the products, you use the current Platts price, with the spot premium / discount.

My question is, how do other refineries do it. If one uses the purchased differential you see different economics to the replacement value.

For the experienced LP planners, is there any generally accepted way of doing it?

 

RE: Refinery Planning

Is this an engineering Isue???

RE: Refinery Planning

(OP)
Yes, chemical engineers plan refineries.
If you take issue with this post under this section, then stick to pumps only.

RE: Refinery Planning

My recollection is, say for a 100,000 b/d refinery, we might block in 80% of the crude types and volume, and fix 80% of the products required. This reflects long term commitments. The remaining 20% of crude and products could be variable reflecting the variability of the wholesale markets. For example there could be a mixed sweet crude and a mixed sour crude available depending on whether there was a pull on regular or low sulphur No. 2 Fuel Oil. Also hitest and most regular gasoline might be fixed volumes but regular or say a 70/30 mix could be for sale at a price. The LP would produce that mix if the cost made sense.

I suppose there are a few ways of setting up the LP. This is just one way. I recall setting it up for 4 quarters of production with inventories carried from quarter to quarter. Retail may be fixed while wholesale is variable. Probably some crude volumes are contracted for so they are fixed. A couple of crudes may be allowed to vary their volume based on product demand, and likely crude price and sulphur level. Refinery unit capacities would limit what can be run  

HAZOP at www.curryhydrocarbons.ca

Red Flag This Post

Please let us know here why this post is inappropriate. Reasons such as off-topic, duplicates, flames, illegal, vulgar, or students posting their homework.

Red Flag Submitted

Thank you for helping keep Eng-Tips Forums free from inappropriate posts.
The Eng-Tips staff will check this out and take appropriate action.

Reply To This Thread

Posting in the Eng-Tips forums is a member-only feature.

Click Here to join Eng-Tips and talk with other members! Already a Member? Login


Resources

Low-Volume Rapid Injection Molding With 3D Printed Molds
Learn methods and guidelines for using stereolithography (SLA) 3D printed molds in the injection molding process to lower costs and lead time. Discover how this hybrid manufacturing process enables on-demand mold fabrication to quickly produce small batches of thermoplastic parts. Download Now
Design for Additive Manufacturing (DfAM)
Examine how the principles of DfAM upend many of the long-standing rules around manufacturability - allowing engineers and designers to place a part’s function at the center of their design considerations. Download Now
Taking Control of Engineering Documents
This ebook covers tips for creating and managing workflows, security best practices and protection of intellectual property, Cloud vs. on-premise software solutions, CAD file management, compliance, and more. Download Now

Close Box

Join Eng-Tips® Today!

Join your peers on the Internet's largest technical engineering professional community.
It's easy to join and it's free.

Here's Why Members Love Eng-Tips Forums:

Register now while it's still free!

Already a member? Close this window and log in.

Join Us             Close