Log In

Come Join Us!

Are you an
Engineering professional?
Join Eng-Tips Forums!
  • Talk With Other Members
  • Be Notified Of Responses
    To Your Posts
  • Keyword Search
  • One-Click Access To Your
    Favorite Forums
  • Automated Signatures
    On Your Posts
  • Best Of All, It's Free!
  • Students Click Here

*Eng-Tips's functionality depends on members receiving e-mail. By joining you are opting in to receive e-mail.

Posting Guidelines

Promoting, selling, recruiting, coursework and thesis posting is forbidden.

Students Click Here


What is this? Any Ideas?

What is this? Any Ideas?

What is this? Any Ideas?

Hello everyone here is a fun item for you to ponder over. I found this item in a box of old medical instruments. I am not sure what it does and there is a bustle of ideas around my shop as to what its used for. I am not sure if it is in fact a medical device but any ideas would help me out. Thanks and enjoy. Here is a link to the Pics.


RE: What is this? Any Ideas?

Looks almost like a variable size wrench mechanism. Except it has 4 non-flat sides which means it really can't be one smile.
Possibly some way to clamp around a cylinder for it to be manipulated.  


RE: What is this? Any Ideas?

Thats sort of what my guys are saying. One suggested that it is some sort of braiding tool where you put some sort of core or wire in the middle and in the 4 squares you put your outer material an spin it thus braiding either wire or cord. I have no idea what it is but its really complex for the operation its performing. Thanks again for the info.

RE: What is this? Any Ideas?

The device has similarities to a tube expander. When the handles are squeezed together the collet opens.

RE: What is this? Any Ideas?

Any markings on it?

It is better to have enough ideas for some of them to be wrong, than to be always right by having no ideas at all.

RE: What is this? Any Ideas?

That is possible I never thought of that. When the instrument is closed the thru hole is approx. .100" or roughly 2.5mm and is a cylinder.  

RE: What is this? Any Ideas?

2.5mm is a typical crimped stent diameter (usually spec'd out in .5mm or 1mm increments), but this could just be coincidence. My imagination was a bit biased by your statement in the OP that it might be medical related. It may also be an industrial crimping or swaging tool for electrical wiring, fittings for wire rope, etc. There seem to be a million different hand tools for crimping/swaging out there with different die geometry/size, cylindrical included. It looks plastic so I'm thinking it's not for heavy duty applications.  

RE: What is this? Any Ideas?

Well thats kinda what I am thinking that its used for is some sort of crimping or swaging. The instrument is made out of steel so it is somewhat strong even though the material thickness is only .065".

RE: What is this? Any Ideas?

Yeah, it has the general arrangement of a crimping tool, but the handles are reversed from that; i.e.,, when the handles are close together, the jaws are far apart, which suggests that it's a spreader of some kind.


Mike Halloran
Pembroke Pines, FL, USA

RE: What is this? Any Ideas?

It could be some sort of gauging tool.  The arc segment is slotted and there is a binding nut to be tightened to hold a setting.  It appears that it can be preset for some use.


RE: What is this? Any Ideas?

It definitely doesn't look like a medical instrument.  Perhaps it got thrown in the wrong box?  Or was a tool used to service a machine that made medical tooling?

 It looks a lot like a cheap Tap/Die holder.  I've got an old cheap one that looks similar to this, being stamped out of sheet metal.   Although starting threads without having 2x 180deg opposed handles would be difficult...  Possibly for cleaning existing threads?  Perhaps it used to remove/install some kind of specialty pushing, punch or die from a machine?

Red Flag This Post

Please let us know here why this post is inappropriate. Reasons such as off-topic, duplicates, flames, illegal, vulgar, or students posting their homework.

Red Flag Submitted

Thank you for helping keep Eng-Tips Forums free from inappropriate posts.
The Eng-Tips staff will check this out and take appropriate action.

Reply To This Thread

Posting in the Eng-Tips forums is a member-only feature.

Click Here to join Eng-Tips and talk with other members!


Close Box

Join Eng-Tips® Today!

Join your peers on the Internet's largest technical engineering professional community.
It's easy to join and it's free.

Here's Why Members Love Eng-Tips Forums:

Register now while it's still free!

Already a member? Close this window and log in.

Join Us             Close