Log In

Come Join Us!

Are you an
Engineering professional?
Join Eng-Tips Forums!
  • Talk With Other Members
  • Be Notified Of Responses
    To Your Posts
  • Keyword Search
  • One-Click Access To Your
    Favorite Forums
  • Automated Signatures
    On Your Posts
  • Best Of All, It's Free!
  • Students Click Here

*Eng-Tips's functionality depends on members receiving e-mail. By joining you are opting in to receive e-mail.

Posting Guidelines

Promoting, selling, recruiting, coursework and thesis posting is forbidden.

Students Click Here


EN 13480 Design - Small Bore Piping

EN 13480 Design - Small Bore Piping

EN 13480 Design - Small Bore Piping

Hello everybody,

my question falls in the grey-area (let's call it nobody's land) between ASME Codes and European Norms (EN).

I am designing a plant according to EN 13480 (the European equivalent of ASME B31.3).
Flange design is in accordance with EN 1092-1 (the European equivalent of ASME B16.5).

I have noticed that no socket welding flange is present in EN 1092-1, and that there isn't any European Code similar to ASME B16.11 for small bore forged fittings.

How can I design the small bore piping?
Would it be correct to specify small bore fittings according to ASME B16.11, even if the whole design is according to EN 13480?

Your help would be highly appreciated.
Thanks in advance.

RE: EN 13480 Design - Small Bore Piping

Have you considered using EN 1759-1 flanges, because there you can find SW flanges (called type 14)

RE: EN 13480 Design - Small Bore Piping

Thank you Raaden,
I have not considered EN 1759-1 because I am trying to design flanged connections classified by PN instead of ASME rated flanged connections (covered by EN 1759-1).

However, let's suppose to use EN 1759-1.

Which EN standard should I specify for the socket weld forged fittings?
I wasn't able to find out anything similar to ASME B16.11.

Have you got any idea?
Thanks again

RE: EN 13480 Design - Small Bore Piping

The only EN socket weld standard I know about is  EN 12760 (Socket welding ends for steel valves), but EN 1759-1 fully describes the dimensions of the socket so for the flange you would only have to specify EN 1759-1 type 14.


RE: EN 13480 Design - Small Bore Piping

EN 13480 is the design code. The materials you use for the design is up to you. You can use ASME flanges. The EN 1759 in the introduction mentions: "EN 1759-1 contains only the flanges with ANSI/ASME origin (ASME B16.5)".

However, if they are made from non-EN-materials (i.e. ASTM designated material) you have to include a PMA when designing according PED. Another point is that you have to determine the materialgroup and from that point you can read the pressure-temperature rating according to EN 1759.


Red Flag This Post

Please let us know here why this post is inappropriate. Reasons such as off-topic, duplicates, flames, illegal, vulgar, or students posting their homework.

Red Flag Submitted

Thank you for helping keep Eng-Tips Forums free from inappropriate posts.
The Eng-Tips staff will check this out and take appropriate action.

Reply To This Thread

Posting in the Eng-Tips forums is a member-only feature.

Click Here to join Eng-Tips and talk with other members!


Close Box

Join Eng-Tips® Today!

Join your peers on the Internet's largest technical engineering professional community.
It's easy to join and it's free.

Here's Why Members Love Eng-Tips Forums:

Register now while it's still free!

Already a member? Close this window and log in.

Join Us             Close