Log In

Come Join Us!

Are you an
Engineering professional?
Join Eng-Tips Forums!
  • Talk With Other Members
  • Be Notified Of Responses
    To Your Posts
  • Keyword Search
  • One-Click Access To Your
    Favorite Forums
  • Automated Signatures
    On Your Posts
  • Best Of All, It's Free!
  • Students Click Here

*Eng-Tips's functionality depends on members receiving e-mail. By joining you are opting in to receive e-mail.

Posting Guidelines

Promoting, selling, recruiting, coursework and thesis posting is forbidden.

Students Click Here


Test Category TC1 or TC2

Test Category TC1 or TC2

Test Category TC1 or TC2

Hi all,

I'm specifying pipe to EN10216-2 and I find that there are two different categories for testing, namely TC1 and TC2. They mainly differ on the NDT for longitudinal imperfections.

I couldn't find any reference on which one to select on EN13480-2 or -3.

Can anyone bring some light on this? when to specify TC1 or TC2?

Thanks in advance


RE: Test Category TC1 or TC2


I'm also very interested in getting an answer to this question.

In the boiler standard EN 12952 however, this is mentioned. Seamless tubes shall be tested according to EN 10216 test category II unless the tube is unalloyed with a design temperature below 450 degC and design pressure below 42 bar, in that case it is permitted to perform category 1 in accordance to EN 10216-2.

Hope this helps a bit

RE: Test Category TC1 or TC2

In which part of EN 12952 is that requirement mentioned? I might find a mirror on EN 13480.

RE: Test Category TC1 or TC2


It can be found in EN 12952-2, ch4 Materials for pressure parts, ch 4.1.6 requirements for non-destructive examination.

Don't remember any equivalent in EN 13480, but please let me know if you find anything.

RE: Test Category TC1 or TC2


No, couldn't find any requirement like that on EN13480. Thanks for the tip.

As nobody else is replying I guess is a very open issue!

RE: Test Category TC1 or TC2

All low alloy steel per EN 10216-2 shall always be TC2.
Carbon steel may be TC1 or TC2 up to the purchaser. So if you use EN 13480 Code and Carbon steel pipes you are allowed to use both TC1 and TC2. The designer shall make his own judgement (e.g. based on pressre of piping or dangerous fluids ) .  

Red Flag This Post

Please let us know here why this post is inappropriate. Reasons such as off-topic, duplicates, flames, illegal, vulgar, or students posting their homework.

Red Flag Submitted

Thank you for helping keep Eng-Tips Forums free from inappropriate posts.
The Eng-Tips staff will check this out and take appropriate action.

Reply To This Thread

Posting in the Eng-Tips forums is a member-only feature.

Click Here to join Eng-Tips and talk with other members!


Close Box

Join Eng-Tips® Today!

Join your peers on the Internet's largest technical engineering professional community.
It's easy to join and it's free.

Here's Why Members Love Eng-Tips Forums:

Register now while it's still free!

Already a member? Close this window and log in.

Join Us             Close