Log In

Come Join Us!

Are you an
Engineering professional?
Join Eng-Tips Forums!
  • Talk With Other Members
  • Be Notified Of Responses
    To Your Posts
  • Keyword Search
  • One-Click Access To Your
    Favorite Forums
  • Automated Signatures
    On Your Posts
  • Best Of All, It's Free!
  • Students Click Here

*Eng-Tips's functionality depends on members receiving e-mail. By joining you are opting in to receive e-mail.

Posting Guidelines

Promoting, selling, recruiting, coursework and thesis posting is forbidden.

Students Click Here


CE marking of domestic mCHP

CE marking of domestic mCHP

CE marking of domestic mCHP

Fuel cell using atmospheric air and LNG or LPG as fuel to generate low voltage electricity (<12 V dc) fed to inverter to backfeed the grid (240 V ac), and with waste heat (650 deg C) used to heat domestic hot water system (approx 5 bar max).
There are many directives to comply with including: Low volt, EMC, PED, ATEX, WEEE, and RoHS. I wonder if you can think of any others or have any ideas of applicable standards.
These systems are for use in domestic dwellings in UK and Europe to start with, with any eye to the US market at some stage. We will need CE marking initially, but what about other markets? And will independent third party certification be required for domestic UK and EU markets, and worldwide?

RE: CE marking of domestic mCHP

RoHs is not a big issue but PED and ATEX (as an example) can be a nightmare if you must go through it. Get help from a notified body. They will most probably not help you free of charge but they are the ones who can tell you what directives you must follow. Be assured it is worth to spend that money. Anything else will take too much of your time.

RE: CE marking of domestic mCHP

Many thanks. I'm experienced in obtaining CE marking for industrial machinery in the oil&gas industries (so PED and ATEX hold no surprises), but where I'm short is on experience in obtaining certification for commercial "white goods" being sold into a domestic environment. Installation and maintenance will be by skilled persons, but normal operation will be by the householder. When you look at the equipment you will appreciate the problems. Do you feel that independent third-party inspection is required for CE marking or is it possible to self-certify equipment of this type?

RE: CE marking of domestic mCHP

I'm careful as I have no experience in products for households. But in households you must assume that (in simple terms) idiots operate your piece of equipment. That means you must consider unexpected failures and operating errors. Because of that I would definitely ask a notified body. I think an informative meeting will not cost a fortune.

RE: CE marking of domestic mCHP

I think a call to TUV or the like is the next thing on the agenda - many thanks.

Red Flag This Post

Please let us know here why this post is inappropriate. Reasons such as off-topic, duplicates, flames, illegal, vulgar, or students posting their homework.

Red Flag Submitted

Thank you for helping keep Eng-Tips Forums free from inappropriate posts.
The Eng-Tips staff will check this out and take appropriate action.

Reply To This Thread

Posting in the Eng-Tips forums is a member-only feature.

Click Here to join Eng-Tips and talk with other members!


Close Box

Join Eng-Tips® Today!

Join your peers on the Internet's largest technical engineering professional community.
It's easy to join and it's free.

Here's Why Members Love Eng-Tips Forums:

Register now while it's still free!

Already a member? Close this window and log in.

Join Us             Close