Contact US

Log In

Come Join Us!

Are you an
Engineering professional?
Join Eng-Tips Forums!
  • Talk With Other Members
  • Be Notified Of Responses
    To Your Posts
  • Keyword Search
  • One-Click Access To Your
    Favorite Forums
  • Automated Signatures
    On Your Posts
  • Best Of All, It's Free!

*Eng-Tips's functionality depends on members receiving e-mail. By joining you are opting in to receive e-mail.

Posting Guidelines

Promoting, selling, recruiting, coursework and thesis posting is forbidden.

Students Click Here

Angled riser outlet

Angled riser outlet

Angled riser outlet

Hello, I am modeling a concrete riser and grate in a detention pond. The 30 inch diameter grate on top of the riser will be angled to match the 3:1 slope it is embeded in. I am not sure the best way to model this angled outlet.

RE: Angled riser outlet

You can model this using a trapezoidal weir, where the two sides are essentially bent back at a 90 degree angle.

Peter Smart
HydroCAD Software

RE: Angled riser outlet

So, using a vee/trap weir outlet, the invert should set to the elevation of the spillway, the notch left blank, and the width set to 2.5'- the  diameter of the riser.  Is this the configuration you would recommend for modeling this scenario? thanks for clarifying.

RE: Angled riser outlet

You also need to set the notch angle to twice the slope of the grate.  (The notch angle is the total included angle, so it would be the sum of the two sides)

Basically, you're flattening out three sides of the grate, which will form a trapezoid.

Peter Smart
HydroCAD Software

RE: Angled riser outlet

Peter, I'm having some difficulty visualizing your recommendation. Just to make sure I provided a clear description of the configuration- the grate is 30" diameter, round.  One side will be tipped up from horizontal to match the 3:1 slope of the basin. The result will be a round grate that is flush to the surrounding 3:1 slope.

RE: Angled riser outlet

Sorry, I was providing details for a rectangular grate.

For a circular grate on a slope you will probably need to use a custom weir/orifice.  As before, you will be "flattening out" the perimeter so you can model it as a curved weir in 2-dimensions.

Peter Smart
HydroCAD Software

Red Flag This Post

Please let us know here why this post is inappropriate. Reasons such as off-topic, duplicates, flames, illegal, vulgar, or students posting their homework.

Red Flag Submitted

Thank you for helping keep Eng-Tips Forums free from inappropriate posts.
The Eng-Tips staff will check this out and take appropriate action.

Reply To This Thread

Posting in the Eng-Tips forums is a member-only feature.

Click Here to join Eng-Tips and talk with other members! Already a Member? Login


Close Box

Join Eng-Tips® Today!

Join your peers on the Internet's largest technical engineering professional community.
It's easy to join and it's free.

Here's Why Members Love Eng-Tips Forums:

Register now while it's still free!

Already a member? Close this window and log in.

Join Us             Close