Contact US

Log In

Come Join Us!

Are you an
Engineering professional?
Join Eng-Tips Forums!
  • Talk With Other Members
  • Be Notified Of Responses
    To Your Posts
  • Keyword Search
  • One-Click Access To Your
    Favorite Forums
  • Automated Signatures
    On Your Posts
  • Best Of All, It's Free!

*Eng-Tips's functionality depends on members receiving e-mail. By joining you are opting in to receive e-mail.

Posting Guidelines

Promoting, selling, recruiting, coursework and thesis posting is forbidden.

Students Click Here

The words, "Structural Engineering"

The words, "Structural Engineering"

The words, "Structural Engineering"

I am a P.E. in California and I'm doing some marketing for my new business. I have been reading the Professional Engineer's Act and trying to decipher which way I can use the words "structural engineering". It is clear to me only that I cannot use the title, "Structural Engineer" without an S.E. License.

This leads me to believe that I can say;
"Mine is a structural engineering company"
"I practice structural engineering"
"I offer structural engineering services"

I want to avoid having to use a run-on phrase like, "a professional engineering company in the field/specialty of structural engineering" or, "I am a consulting engineer in structural engineering."
Any advice or insight?

RE: The words, "Structural Engineering"

If I am correct, a CIVIL PE in California can do structural engineering within certain limits.  Not Mechanical, Geotech or any other PE though.  I must assume that you are a Civil PE then.

What market for structure were you going to concentrate on?  Residential, commercial, industrial, multi-family?  I believe that you are limited to either two or three stories with no special or funny stuff.  Maybe someone from CA could comment more precisely though.

That being said, I would show pictures and descriptions of what you CAN site Legally do, and have done, not implying anything more on the website until you get your structural license.

Mike McCann
MMC Engineering

RE: The words, "Structural Engineering"

Thanks msquared48,
Yes, I'm a civil PE. In CA Civil Engineers may design any building of any type except public schools and hospitals. Most engineers in CA practicing structural are PE.
I'm mostly concerned with the legal use of the words "structural engineering" in my marketing.

RE: The words, "Structural Engineering"

Call your board
Ask your lawyer - or
say I practice structural engineering under CA guidelines.????

RE: The words, "Structural Engineering"

How about "I am a licensed Civil Engineer in the State of Califirnia specializing in structural analysis and design."

Mike McCann
MMC Engineering

Red Flag This Post

Please let us know here why this post is inappropriate. Reasons such as off-topic, duplicates, flames, illegal, vulgar, or students posting their homework.

Red Flag Submitted

Thank you for helping keep Eng-Tips Forums free from inappropriate posts.
The Eng-Tips staff will check this out and take appropriate action.

Reply To This Thread

Posting in the Eng-Tips forums is a member-only feature.

Click Here to join Eng-Tips and talk with other members! Already a Member? Login


Close Box

Join Eng-Tips® Today!

Join your peers on the Internet's largest technical engineering professional community.
It's easy to join and it's free.

Here's Why Members Love Eng-Tips Forums:

Register now while it's still free!

Already a member? Close this window and log in.

Join Us             Close