×
INTELLIGENT WORK FORUMS
FOR ENGINEERING PROFESSIONALS

Contact US

Log In

Come Join Us!

Are you an
Engineering professional?
Join Eng-Tips Forums!
  • Talk With Other Members
  • Be Notified Of Responses
    To Your Posts
  • Keyword Search
  • One-Click Access To Your
    Favorite Forums
  • Automated Signatures
    On Your Posts
  • Best Of All, It's Free!

*Eng-Tips's functionality depends on members receiving e-mail. By joining you are opting in to receive e-mail.

Posting Guidelines

Promoting, selling, recruiting, coursework and thesis posting is forbidden.

Students Click Here

Writing an Engineering Proposal - Need advice
4

Writing an Engineering Proposal - Need advice

Writing an Engineering Proposal - Need advice

(OP)
Dear Eng-Tipers,

I am looking for information (books, articles, newspapers, magazines) on how to write an Engineering Proposal for clients who want design engineering done by a consultant.

Can anyone out there suggest sources of information or personal advice on how to write an Engineering Proposal?

Regards,

TIA

RE: Writing an Engineering Proposal - Need advice

(OP)
Yes, indeed.  Thanks for the reference.  It is for academic engineering proposals.  I'd like to get something oriented towards business (Real Life) situations.
Thanks anyway.

RE: Writing an Engineering Proposal - Need advice

Then you don't want an engineering proposal, do you? You want a business proposal (more like an executive business plan) that's geared toward engineering. If you look on Google, I'm sure you'll find business proposal templates. From there, just narrow your search further only including engineering.

You can use this as a template.

Searched: engineering consultant business template

2nd hit

http://www.morebusiness.com/engineering-consulting-business-plan

V

RE: Writing an Engineering Proposal - Need advice

2
If I understand you correctly, you don't need a business plan. (However, that 2nd link is great for all those posts that start with "I'm thinking of starting my own firm...")
What you need are examples of the answer to the following question:  "I'm looking for an engineer to ___.  Can you provide me a proposal for that?"
For me, as a structural engineer, I know that person (client) wants stamped prints and he wants to know how much it will cost.  Our firm will mostly provide a single page letter describing our services and what the fees will be.  On larger projects, we shine it up a bit and provide nice pictures and descriptions of similar projects.  Sometimes we get the job, and sometimes we don't.  Of the projects we don't get; 80% of the time it is because of the price.  THe other 20% of the time we lose a project, it is that we were never really in the running to begin with.  The potential client was just shopping out his usual engineers fees.
I don't know if that helps with a chemical engineering proposal or not.  Don't expect other companies to share examples of their proposals.

RE: Writing an Engineering Proposal - Need advice

There are dozens of laughable "How To Get Rich As A Consultant" self-help books on the market and in libraries.  These usually have proposal samples in them.

I have found plenty of samples posted on the internet...if you haven't, then you're not looking hard enough.

The US Dept of Defense Small Business Innovation Research (SBIR) competion websites have a standard format for proposals.  You can get format ideas from that.

There's no standard formula.  My experience is to craft a proposal targeted at the job, at the client, at the task.  Sometimes you must put in extreme detail, sometimes just "big picture" topics.  Writing proposals seems to be an Art where the skills are learned through hard experience.

TygerDawg
Blue Technik LLC
Virtuoso Robotics Engineering
www.bluetechnik.com

RE: Writing an Engineering Proposal - Need advice

Scope of work, price, and schedule are all you need.  And some fine print to protect you.  Keep it simple.

RE: Writing an Engineering Proposal - Need advice

(OP)
Thanks to ALL who offered comments, suggestions, references, and personal advice.

Red Flag This Post

Please let us know here why this post is inappropriate. Reasons such as off-topic, duplicates, flames, illegal, vulgar, or students posting their homework.

Red Flag Submitted

Thank you for helping keep Eng-Tips Forums free from inappropriate posts.
The Eng-Tips staff will check this out and take appropriate action.

Reply To This Thread

Posting in the Eng-Tips forums is a member-only feature.

Click Here to join Eng-Tips and talk with other members! Already a Member? Login



News


Close Box

Join Eng-Tips® Today!

Join your peers on the Internet's largest technical engineering professional community.
It's easy to join and it's free.

Here's Why Members Love Eng-Tips Forums:

Register now while it's still free!

Already a member? Close this window and log in.

Join Us             Close