Log In

Come Join Us!

Are you an
Engineering professional?
Join Eng-Tips Forums!
  • Talk With Other Members
  • Be Notified Of Responses
    To Your Posts
  • Keyword Search
  • One-Click Access To Your
    Favorite Forums
  • Automated Signatures
    On Your Posts
  • Best Of All, It's Free!
  • Students Click Here

*Eng-Tips's functionality depends on members receiving e-mail. By joining you are opting in to receive e-mail.

Posting Guidelines

Promoting, selling, recruiting, coursework and thesis posting is forbidden.

Students Click Here




RE: Flexure


RE: Flexure

Flexure is in essence beding of an element which induces compression and tensile stresses at a maximum at the outer fibres. I suggest you get your hands on a basic stuctural mechanics book.

RE: Flexure

Sorry that should read 'bending' of an element not beding!

RE: Flexure

I don't think a structural definition is any different from a layman's definition.  Flexure is bending.

When you load a beam it bends/ flexes.  Maybe you could say rotational deflection?  We could make rotation more complicated by saying things like the differential of the deflection or the integral of the moment.

You might want to give us some more context.

RE: Flexure

Interestingly Marblaze has made 6 postings but never made a single response.

They talked about research on previous posts so I think they are a student.

RE: Flexure

I am a part time student and working full time.

thanks for your help.


RE: Flexure

just out of curiosity - what do you do for work right now and what are you studying (undergrad or grad)?

RE: Flexure

Law ?  Accountancy ?

RE: Flexure

what is your undergrad degree in?  I have a hard time imagining how you can be in a MS CIVIL program and not understand what flexure is.

RE: Flexure

I certainly meant no disrespect with my last post.  I am pretty certain that all civil undergrads need, at a minimum, a structural analysis and/or a design course for some material (be it steel or concrete), and getting through that without understanding flexure is very surprising to me.  Again, no disrespect intended.

RE: Flexure

Take a 2x4 or other piece of lumber about 3 meters long and support with bricks at each end.  Step on it.  It deflects.  It FLEXS.  That is flexure or bending.   

RE: Flexure

well my undergrad is bs civil engineering, it's just that my first language is not english.

i don't much problem when it comes to solving structural problem. but when i start writing my thesis and reading the british standard and eurocode, some words just don't make sense to me.

another classic example is 'decompression' in the contexto prestressing. can you help?

Red Flag This Post

Please let us know here why this post is inappropriate. Reasons such as off-topic, duplicates, flames, illegal, vulgar, or students posting their homework.

Red Flag Submitted

Thank you for helping keep Eng-Tips Forums free from inappropriate posts.
The Eng-Tips staff will check this out and take appropriate action.

Reply To This Thread

Posting in the Eng-Tips forums is a member-only feature.

Click Here to join Eng-Tips and talk with other members!


Close Box

Join Eng-Tips® Today!

Join your peers on the Internet's largest technical engineering professional community.
It's easy to join and it's free.

Here's Why Members Love Eng-Tips Forums:

Register now while it's still free!

Already a member? Close this window and log in.

Join Us             Close