Contact US

Log In

Come Join Us!

Are you an
Engineering professional?
Join Eng-Tips Forums!
  • Talk With Other Members
  • Be Notified Of Responses
    To Your Posts
  • Keyword Search
  • One-Click Access To Your
    Favorite Forums
  • Automated Signatures
    On Your Posts
  • Best Of All, It's Free!

*Eng-Tips's functionality depends on members receiving e-mail. By joining you are opting in to receive e-mail.

Posting Guidelines

Promoting, selling, recruiting, coursework and thesis posting is forbidden.

Students Click Here

dimples re automotive aerodynamics

dimples re automotive aerodynamics

dimples re automotive aerodynamics

does anyone know the approximate size for dimples on the trailing surfaces of automobiles?
 I'm thinking about trying a hexagonal mesh made out of rope to introduce turbulence for the rear window. any ideas about sizes?
 would roughly applied paint improve the boundary layer?

RE: dimples re automotive aerodynamics

Interesting question. I assume you are thinking about improving the air flow the way the dimples in a golf ball work.
This was one i thought about some time ago (idly, I'm afraid) and i concluded that you have dimples on a golf ball because you can't control the airflow direction. On a car i would guess that a sequence of grooves might be better as the air flow direction is known. Size and geometry? i didn't get that far but i guessed that having a car that looked like some one built the back end out of corrugated steel might not be attractive. ACtually with a set of full profile grooves that make it look like a bellows, it may also act as a crumple zone.
I'll be interested to see what others say (who know better than me)

RE: dimples re automotive aerodynamics

You can probably find some info if you investigate airfoil aerodynamics.  Years ago when I was flying radio controlled airplanes I came across this type of info for the airflow over wings.  As I recall, the ridges (running parallel to the wing spar) would, in this case, be about the thickness of the mylar plastic used to cover the plane.  What this does is create turbulence so the laminar airflow can detach from the surface.  

Another thing I read about was putting grooves in the upper rear area of the wing where a vacuum would pull in turbulent air which had detached from the laminar flow over the wing.  The effect of this was to keep the laminar flow from detaching before this point.

Red Flag This Post

Please let us know here why this post is inappropriate. Reasons such as off-topic, duplicates, flames, illegal, vulgar, or students posting their homework.

Red Flag Submitted

Thank you for helping keep Eng-Tips Forums free from inappropriate posts.
The Eng-Tips staff will check this out and take appropriate action.

Reply To This Thread

Posting in the Eng-Tips forums is a member-only feature.

Click Here to join Eng-Tips and talk with other members! Already a Member? Login


Close Box

Join Eng-Tips® Today!

Join your peers on the Internet's largest technical engineering professional community.
It's easy to join and it's free.

Here's Why Members Love Eng-Tips Forums:

Register now while it's still free!

Already a member? Close this window and log in.

Join Us             Close