Contact US

Log In

Come Join Us!

Are you an
Engineering professional?
Join Eng-Tips Forums!
  • Talk With Other Members
  • Be Notified Of Responses
    To Your Posts
  • Keyword Search
  • One-Click Access To Your
    Favorite Forums
  • Automated Signatures
    On Your Posts
  • Best Of All, It's Free!

*Eng-Tips's functionality depends on members receiving e-mail. By joining you are opting in to receive e-mail.

Posting Guidelines

Promoting, selling, recruiting, coursework and thesis posting is forbidden.

Students Click Here

Steel Grades in France

Steel Grades in France

Steel Grades in France

Does anyone know the typical steel grades in France?

I have a HEB160 and a 200x200x10 tube that I need to check and I dont know what the common stress grades (Fy) are for these.

Any help would be appreciated.

RE: Steel Grades in France

looks like an HSS type section... might try a CIDECT website... don't have my catalogue here, else I'd look it up...


RE: Steel Grades in France

You will probably get a better answer, but every culture seems to have their own verision of a burrito and A36 steel.

Joe Tank

RE: Steel Grades in France

A 200 x 200 x 10 is a Square Hollow Section.

A HEB 160 is a european wide flange beam (basically a column section).

Not sure about France but in the UK these come with a yield stress of 275MPa, 355MPa, or 460MPa for normal structural purposes.

We are all (Europe) moving to the Eurocodes so I checked EN 1993.  The British version (in english strangely) also has the same values given above.

I think the old French code was NFA 35-501.  In this document the equivalent to grade S275 was E-28, S355 was E-36.

Not sure if this helps though.


RE: Steel Grades in France

Thanks for your help everyone.

I found out that both the tube and the I-beam are S235 (235MPa) which is 34.08 ksi so there is steel weaker than A36!

RE: Steel Grades in France

A6 is the common steel grade used on pre-war buildings, has yield of 33 ksi.

RE: Steel Grades in France

ASTM A6 is a material supply standard that addresses tolerances, strightness, etc.  I think you might have meant ASTM A7.

Joe Tank

Red Flag This Post

Please let us know here why this post is inappropriate. Reasons such as off-topic, duplicates, flames, illegal, vulgar, or students posting their homework.

Red Flag Submitted

Thank you for helping keep Eng-Tips Forums free from inappropriate posts.
The Eng-Tips staff will check this out and take appropriate action.

Reply To This Thread

Posting in the Eng-Tips forums is a member-only feature.

Click Here to join Eng-Tips and talk with other members! Already a Member? Login


Close Box

Join Eng-Tips® Today!

Join your peers on the Internet's largest technical engineering professional community.
It's easy to join and it's free.

Here's Why Members Love Eng-Tips Forums:

Register now while it's still free!

Already a member? Close this window and log in.

Join Us             Close