Log In

Come Join Us!

Are you an
Engineering professional?
Join Eng-Tips Forums!
  • Talk With Other Members
  • Be Notified Of Responses
    To Your Posts
  • Keyword Search
  • One-Click Access To Your
    Favorite Forums
  • Automated Signatures
    On Your Posts
  • Best Of All, It's Free!
  • Students Click Here

*Eng-Tips's functionality depends on members receiving e-mail. By joining you are opting in to receive e-mail.

Posting Guidelines

Promoting, selling, recruiting, coursework and thesis posting is forbidden.

Students Click Here


Building drift and diaphragm deflection limits

Building drift and diaphragm deflection limits

Building drift and diaphragm deflection limits

Where do I find some good information (with a picture preferably) on

1. Building VLLR drift limits
2. Diaphragm deflection limits between the MFRS.

I have design guide 3, but that all seems greek. What do they mean drift perp to wall? Which wall, the shearwall or the wall which is perp to this wall. I know you always hear h/400 for the VLLR, but why. Where is that written in stone, and why can a prefab building drift so much more.

Thanks for any help.

RE: Building drift and diaphragm deflection limits

Depends on what you are designing for.  There are seismic drift limits in the IBC code.  Design guide 3 is for serviceability and yes it is very hard to read.  Pre-Engineered metal buildings are allowed a limit of L/120 regardless of cladding, which I think is a political thing...lobbyists and all for the metal building association.  If you have masonry veneer, then you should use somewhere between L/600 and L/480.  A masonry association recommends L/730, but that gets a little crazy.  I would use design guide 3 except I would use the masonry veneer limit above.  Another thing you can consider is you wind speed.  It is based on a 50yr occurrence.  Who cares if your brick cracks a little in 50 yrs.  You can adjust your serviceability design wind speed by converting it to a 10 yr wind speed and reduce your wind speed by around 30%.  The conversion chart is in the back of ASCE 7.  Makes a pretty big difference if you can't meet your serviceability drift limit.  You still want to set your strength limit using the standard wind speed.

Red Flag This Post

Please let us know here why this post is inappropriate. Reasons such as off-topic, duplicates, flames, illegal, vulgar, or students posting their homework.

Red Flag Submitted

Thank you for helping keep Eng-Tips Forums free from inappropriate posts.
The Eng-Tips staff will check this out and take appropriate action.

Reply To This Thread

Posting in the Eng-Tips forums is a member-only feature.

Click Here to join Eng-Tips and talk with other members!


Close Box

Join Eng-Tips® Today!

Join your peers on the Internet's largest technical engineering professional community.
It's easy to join and it's free.

Here's Why Members Love Eng-Tips Forums:

Register now while it's still free!

Already a member? Close this window and log in.

Join Us             Close