Contact US

Log In

Come Join Us!

Are you an
Engineering professional?
Join Eng-Tips Forums!
  • Talk With Other Members
  • Be Notified Of Responses
    To Your Posts
  • Keyword Search
  • One-Click Access To Your
    Favorite Forums
  • Automated Signatures
    On Your Posts
  • Best Of All, It's Free!

*Eng-Tips's functionality depends on members receiving e-mail. By joining you are opting in to receive e-mail.

Posting Guidelines

Promoting, selling, recruiting, coursework and thesis posting is forbidden.

Students Click Here

Graduate Program in Historic Construction

Graduate Program in Historic Construction

Graduate Program in Historic Construction

I am in the United States (midwest to be precise) and I am wondering if anyone knows of a graduate school that offers classes or more importantly a program in rehabilitation of historic buildings.  I'm thinking of something where historic building construction is a topic, historic materials, techniques, etc..
I do a lot of work in St Louis, where like most older industrialized cities, they have several million square feet of warehouses and historic buildings that need to be rehabilitated.  Our office does 20-30% of its work in this sector of the market, and I wanted to know if there was any formalized training out there to be had (classes are the best for me; I don't think you get too much useful info from one day seminars.)
Thanks for the input.

RE: Graduate Program in Historic Construction

ASCE has an upcoming two day seminar "Structural Renovation of Buildings" in Baltimore on May 2-3, in St. Paul on June 20-21 and in San Francisco on July 25-26.  I know you said you don't get much out of a one day program, but this is two! <G>.  Cost is $835.00 for the two days, plus travel and lodging.  A little steep, but it may be a place to start.

You might try some the website of some of the schools of architecture.

Good luck.

RE: Graduate Program in Historic Construction

Dougantholz, I'm in the midwest as well and I beleive that some information on that topic can be had from SIU-E.  This university has a major construction program for the area and at least one professor that has been involved in the seismic retrofit of historic structures.  The professor is in the Civil Engineering Department which is separate from the construction department.

Try them on the website and see if there are any classes offered.  Look up the faculty in the Civil Dept and you will find a contact for more information at least.

Good Luck.

RE: Graduate Program in Historic Construction

I'm in the graduate structures program at SIU-E, but they don't offer anything specificaly on historic construction or design.  But thanks.

Red Flag This Post

Please let us know here why this post is inappropriate. Reasons such as off-topic, duplicates, flames, illegal, vulgar, or students posting their homework.

Red Flag Submitted

Thank you for helping keep Eng-Tips Forums free from inappropriate posts.
The Eng-Tips staff will check this out and take appropriate action.

Reply To This Thread

Posting in the Eng-Tips forums is a member-only feature.

Click Here to join Eng-Tips and talk with other members! Already a Member? Login


Close Box

Join Eng-Tips® Today!

Join your peers on the Internet's largest technical engineering professional community.
It's easy to join and it's free.

Here's Why Members Love Eng-Tips Forums:

Register now while it's still free!

Already a member? Close this window and log in.

Join Us             Close