Contact US

Log In

Come Join Us!

Are you an
Engineering professional?
Join Eng-Tips Forums!
  • Talk With Other Members
  • Be Notified Of Responses
    To Your Posts
  • Keyword Search
  • One-Click Access To Your
    Favorite Forums
  • Automated Signatures
    On Your Posts
  • Best Of All, It's Free!

*Eng-Tips's functionality depends on members receiving e-mail. By joining you are opting in to receive e-mail.

Posting Guidelines

Promoting, selling, recruiting, coursework and thesis posting is forbidden.

Students Click Here

N2 Blankets-Removing VOC's

N2 Blankets-Removing VOC's

N2 Blankets-Removing VOC's

I am trying to design a storage vessel for a VOC, and need to blanket with N2. On refilling the vessel i will be required to clean the N2 b4 releasing to the atmosphere.
My plan is to condense the VOC. Does anyone know of a
company which makes storage tanks with this sort of extra added on.


RE: N2 Blankets-Removing VOC's


What you are looking for is called a "knock-back" or "vent condenser". It is not a feature of the tank, but typically added as a seperate heat exchanger.

Both the "shell and tube" as well as the "spiral" type of heat exchangers have been used in this duty. "Shell and Tube" models typically have the tubes oriented vertically.

The heat exhanger most often is directly mounted (vertically) on the tank/reactor nozzle..... so planning for this feature when the tank is being specified is important.

A "spiral" HX ( such as those manufactured by Alfa Laval or APV) are used when the liquid condensed is viscous

I hope that this helps


RE: N2 Blankets-Removing VOC's

vessels with knock back exchanger inserted inside vessel is very common too...and can be much cheaper for your application ....

RE: N2 Blankets-Removing VOC's

One of the leading manuf. of adsoption unit for relaiming of VOC are Cool Sorption. Check this link:


Best Regards


Red Flag This Post

Please let us know here why this post is inappropriate. Reasons such as off-topic, duplicates, flames, illegal, vulgar, or students posting their homework.

Red Flag Submitted

Thank you for helping keep Eng-Tips Forums free from inappropriate posts.
The Eng-Tips staff will check this out and take appropriate action.

Reply To This Thread

Posting in the Eng-Tips forums is a member-only feature.

Click Here to join Eng-Tips and talk with other members! Already a Member? Login


Close Box

Join Eng-Tips® Today!

Join your peers on the Internet's largest technical engineering professional community.
It's easy to join and it's free.

Here's Why Members Love Eng-Tips Forums:

Register now while it's still free!

Already a member? Close this window and log in.

Join Us             Close