Log In

Come Join Us!

Are you an
Engineering professional?
Join Eng-Tips Forums!
  • Talk With Other Members
  • Be Notified Of Responses
    To Your Posts
  • Keyword Search
  • One-Click Access To Your
    Favorite Forums
  • Automated Signatures
    On Your Posts
  • Best Of All, It's Free!
  • Students Click Here

*Eng-Tips's functionality depends on members receiving e-mail. By joining you are opting in to receive e-mail.

Posting Guidelines

Promoting, selling, recruiting, coursework and thesis posting is forbidden.

Students Click Here


Limit switches

Limit switches

Limit switches

are there any hydraulic "limit switches" that can cut the flow of oil to a motor when the component part has reached a certain destination and needs to be slowed down or otherwise stopped?

RE: Limit switches

Yes there are cam operated shut off valves that can close a flow off completely when required...

There are also deceleration valves that do as the name suggests. They slow a moving obeject by mechanically limiting the rate of flow to or from an actuator such as a cylinder or a motor.


RE: Limit switches


Can you give me any vendors/vendor products to check out
as possible hydraulic limit switches?

RE: Limit switches


Why can't you use an electric Limit Switch?

Bud Trinkel CFPE

RE: Limit switches

No electric controls permitted; it must be all hydraulic, including the limit switches; these limit switches could operate the counterbalance valves through pilot lines to regulate the flow to the motors.

RE: Limit switches

On these circuits I use Air (Pneumatic} Limit Valves and Air Pilot Operated Directional Controls that most hydraulic valve manufacturers offer.

Crouzet http://www.crouzet.com/ or others offer pneumatic limit valves with many options that are available in electriv Limt Switches.

Bud Trinkel CFPE

RE: Limit switches

Oil Control or rather their sister company EDI-Systems manufacture quite a few different valves.

I don't know of any in the US as I am in England.

Cam operated valves are quite common so it should be quite easy to get hold of some.

Stopping the motion of something by removing the pilot will cause the object to decelerate very quickly. Counterbalance and overcentre valves are motion control valves, not flow control valves.

If you remove the pilot line to a motion control valve, it will slam shut very quickly and all of the inertia in the moving load will be taken up by the actuator and the oil inside the system, causing a huge pressure spike.

If you want to use a valve to control the pilot signal to a motion control valve, it will have to have 3 ports to allow the pilot line to drain away after the valve has closed. Otherwise the motion control valve will remain open because the pilot line is hydraulically locked.

Stopping a load using a motion control valve to stop the flow is a bad idea!

It's better to use a mechanically operated flow control valve.

If you do end up using cam operated valves, you need to make the cam as long as possible to make the load decelerate slowly and the valve must go on the line coming out of the actuator otherwise the load will carry on moving after the valve has shut.

Hope this helps...


Red Flag This Post

Please let us know here why this post is inappropriate. Reasons such as off-topic, duplicates, flames, illegal, vulgar, or students posting their homework.

Red Flag Submitted

Thank you for helping keep Eng-Tips Forums free from inappropriate posts.
The Eng-Tips staff will check this out and take appropriate action.

Reply To This Thread

Posting in the Eng-Tips forums is a member-only feature.

Click Here to join Eng-Tips and talk with other members!


White Paper - Effects of AIA Quick Guide to UL 489 or UL 1077
The function of a circuit breaker is to provide overload (thermal) and short-circuit (magnetic) protection to a circuit and its downstream components. A circuit breaker functions like an airbag in a car, protecting circuit components and people by tripping the circuit to interrupt the current flow if it detects a fault condition in the control system. Download Now
White Paper - Guide to Integrate Large-Format Additive
As with any new technology, getting into large-format 3D printing begins with investigation. The first question may be a simple one: what does “large-format” mean? For 3D printers, “large” is a relative term. Many extrusion-based (FFF) 3D printers are referred to as desktop machines, because they fit on table space. Some of these have very respectable build volumes – but when it comes to “large-format,” the machines will need their own dedicated floor space. Large-format 3D printers have significant build volumes and are most often found in professional settings, like manufacturing facilities and R&D centers. Download Now

Close Box

Join Eng-Tips® Today!

Join your peers on the Internet's largest technical engineering professional community.
It's easy to join and it's free.

Here's Why Members Love Eng-Tips Forums:

Register now while it's still free!

Already a member? Close this window and log in.

Join Us             Close