Contact US

Log In

Come Join Us!

Are you an
Engineering professional?
Join Eng-Tips Forums!
  • Talk With Other Members
  • Be Notified Of Responses
    To Your Posts
  • Keyword Search
  • One-Click Access To Your
    Favorite Forums
  • Automated Signatures
    On Your Posts
  • Best Of All, It's Free!

*Eng-Tips's functionality depends on members receiving e-mail. By joining you are opting in to receive e-mail.

Posting Guidelines

Promoting, selling, recruiting, coursework and thesis posting is forbidden.

Students Click Here

Depths Of Flow In Pipe

Depths Of Flow In Pipe

Depths Of Flow In Pipe

Ladies & Gents

Please excuse lack of knowledge but I am still learning.

If I know a flow in a pipe, plus all the pipe characteristics eg. Grade diameter "n" value how do I establish the depth of flow the get my wetted perimeter.

Where this is leading is I have to prove that I have slime stripping flow and velocity in a sewer pipe. Problem is I know the pipe is not flowing full and I am unclear on how to establish the depth of flow to calculate the wetted perimeter to proceed with my mannings calculation.

Any help would be appreciated.

RE: Depths Of Flow In Pipe

Calc the HGL through the system.  Assume a reasonable tailwater on the last pipe, work up with loses through the structures.  The HGL approximates the depth of flow.

But if you are just looking for v/vfull relationships, use Q/Qfull to get d/D.  Go to pages 111-113 in this Manual:

Engineering is the practice of the art of science - Steve

RE: Depths Of Flow In Pipe

Ok, Sounds like you need to establish normal depth in a circular cross section.  This can be done the way lha adresses with v/vfull and nomographs or using math and the properties of circles.  Rather than crunch out the equations now, I will look for the appropiate equations and post them later.

RE: Depths Of Flow In Pipe

Sorry RjMelbourne for taking so long to get back but here are the eqs i mentioned:

A=cos^-1  (Z/r)
"Angle in Radians"

Y= depth from invert
A=angle from vert to radius matching water surface
Z=center of pipe to water surface (r-y)

Hope this helps I tried to bring in a sketch but could not.

Red Flag This Post

Please let us know here why this post is inappropriate. Reasons such as off-topic, duplicates, flames, illegal, vulgar, or students posting their homework.

Red Flag Submitted

Thank you for helping keep Eng-Tips Forums free from inappropriate posts.
The Eng-Tips staff will check this out and take appropriate action.

Reply To This Thread

Posting in the Eng-Tips forums is a member-only feature.

Click Here to join Eng-Tips and talk with other members! Already a Member? Login


Low-Volume Rapid Injection Molding With 3D Printed Molds
Learn methods and guidelines for using stereolithography (SLA) 3D printed molds in the injection molding process to lower costs and lead time. Discover how this hybrid manufacturing process enables on-demand mold fabrication to quickly produce small batches of thermoplastic parts. Download Now
Design for Additive Manufacturing (DfAM)
Examine how the principles of DfAM upend many of the long-standing rules around manufacturability - allowing engineers and designers to place a part’s function at the center of their design considerations. Download Now
Taking Control of Engineering Documents
This ebook covers tips for creating and managing workflows, security best practices and protection of intellectual property, Cloud vs. on-premise software solutions, CAD file management, compliance, and more. Download Now

Close Box

Join Eng-Tips® Today!

Join your peers on the Internet's largest technical engineering professional community.
It's easy to join and it's free.

Here's Why Members Love Eng-Tips Forums:

Register now while it's still free!

Already a member? Close this window and log in.

Join Us             Close