Contact US

Log In

Come Join Us!

Are you an
Engineering professional?
Join Eng-Tips Forums!
  • Talk With Other Members
  • Be Notified Of Responses
    To Your Posts
  • Keyword Search
  • One-Click Access To Your
    Favorite Forums
  • Automated Signatures
    On Your Posts
  • Best Of All, It's Free!

*Eng-Tips's functionality depends on members receiving e-mail. By joining you are opting in to receive e-mail.

Posting Guidelines

Promoting, selling, recruiting, coursework and thesis posting is forbidden.

Students Click Here

PWHT required for tubesheet repairs

PWHT required for tubesheet repairs

PWHT required for tubesheet repairs

We have a 42 mm thick tubesheet which was a part of a fixed tubesheet type heat exchanger. Due to shell cracking failure, the shell to the tubesheet welds failed by transverse cracks. We completely cut open the shell for us to replace it at the same time, we desire to recover the tube bundle. Upon penetrant testing inspection on the tubesheet, the cracks that we identified on the welds penetrated the tubesheet. We repaired the transverse cracks on the tubesheet by grinding out the cracks. Based on our inspection, the cracks did not reach a depth of more than 1/2". After weld build up using GTAW, do we need to PWHT the entire tubesheet? Am I correct in specifying GTAW as the weld technique for the build up?

RE: PWHT required for tubesheet repairs

The requirements for PWHT depend on the materials of construction. What is the tubesheet material? The welding process that was used is fine.

Once you have identified the tubesheet material, go to Section VIII, Div 1 of the ASME Boiler and Pressure Vessel Code and locate the requirements for PWHT based on the tubesheet material.

If PWHT is required by Code, the PWHT can be localized depending on the number of repair areas. Also, the time for PWHT will be dictated by repair depth to the tubesheet not the thickness of the tubesheet.

RE: PWHT required for tubesheet repairs

Thanks Sir. By the way, the tubesheet material is SA-266-2. I will consult our ASME B&PV Code as you recommended.

Red Flag This Post

Please let us know here why this post is inappropriate. Reasons such as off-topic, duplicates, flames, illegal, vulgar, or students posting their homework.

Red Flag Submitted

Thank you for helping keep Eng-Tips Forums free from inappropriate posts.
The Eng-Tips staff will check this out and take appropriate action.

Reply To This Thread

Posting in the Eng-Tips forums is a member-only feature.

Click Here to join Eng-Tips and talk with other members! Already a Member? Login


Close Box

Join Eng-Tips® Today!

Join your peers on the Internet's largest technical engineering professional community.
It's easy to join and it's free.

Here's Why Members Love Eng-Tips Forums:

Register now while it's still free!

Already a member? Close this window and log in.

Join Us             Close