Contact US

Log In

Come Join Us!

Are you an
Engineering professional?
Join Eng-Tips Forums!
  • Talk With Other Members
  • Be Notified Of Responses
    To Your Posts
  • Keyword Search
  • One-Click Access To Your
    Favorite Forums
  • Automated Signatures
    On Your Posts
  • Best Of All, It's Free!

*Eng-Tips's functionality depends on members receiving e-mail. By joining you are opting in to receive e-mail.

Posting Guidelines

Promoting, selling, recruiting, coursework and thesis posting is forbidden.

Students Click Here

Snap-fit drawn steel enclosure?

Snap-fit drawn steel enclosure?

Snap-fit drawn steel enclosure?

I know this is not the right forum for this but I didn't know where else to go. Delete if inappropriate.

We do a lot of work with small (2"x2") deep-drawn steel enclosures. We're looking for a supplier who provides some kind of snap fit sealing method for same. I can find tons of deep-draw sources but see nobody offering a snap fit function. Probably because there's no-such-thing. Anybody have a place I can look? Or a more appropriate place to post?

RE: Snap-fit drawn steel enclosure?

If I must ask, it probaboy means I can't help but one never knows.

What is a snap fit sealing method/function?  Can you describe it?

RE: Snap-fit drawn steel enclosure?

Sorry, after rereading my question, it does sound vague. Check out the drawn enclosures in the photo at this site: http://www.zerocases.com/metal-products/deep-drawn-components.jsp

We use similar square enclosures and we currently 'slipfit' a shallow drawn cover over the open end of them and then solder-seal. On some non-hermetic units, we would like to install a cover over them and have it be secure without having to solder. We have some 'custom' ideas for solving this but had hoped that there was something standard out there.

Thanks for the reply.

RE: Snap-fit drawn steel enclosure?

I have seen custom formed metal parts with mating "ridge and groove" to lock them together.  It is another set of forming operations and they sure don't seal, they just provide location and retention.

= = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = =
Corrosion never sleeps, but it can be managed.

RE: Snap-fit drawn steel enclosure?

Chapstick cap?
Cookie tin?
Small grease retaining hub cap on pre-90s RWD car?

A formed lip is always involved. Might be easier to form a 3rd piece with Z section

Red Flag This Post

Please let us know here why this post is inappropriate. Reasons such as off-topic, duplicates, flames, illegal, vulgar, or students posting their homework.

Red Flag Submitted

Thank you for helping keep Eng-Tips Forums free from inappropriate posts.
The Eng-Tips staff will check this out and take appropriate action.

Reply To This Thread

Posting in the Eng-Tips forums is a member-only feature.

Click Here to join Eng-Tips and talk with other members! Already a Member? Login


Close Box

Join Eng-Tips® Today!

Join your peers on the Internet's largest technical engineering professional community.
It's easy to join and it's free.

Here's Why Members Love Eng-Tips Forums:

Register now while it's still free!

Already a member? Close this window and log in.

Join Us             Close