×
INTELLIGENT WORK FORUMS
FOR ENGINEERING PROFESSIONALS

Contact US

Log In

Come Join Us!

Are you an
Engineering professional?
Join Eng-Tips Forums!
  • Talk With Other Members
  • Be Notified Of Responses
    To Your Posts
  • Keyword Search
  • One-Click Access To Your
    Favorite Forums
  • Automated Signatures
    On Your Posts
  • Best Of All, It's Free!

*Eng-Tips's functionality depends on members receiving e-mail. By joining you are opting in to receive e-mail.

Posting Guidelines

Promoting, selling, recruiting, coursework and thesis posting is forbidden.

Students Click Here

Pilot error, structural failure percentages

Pilot error, structural failure percentages

Pilot error, structural failure percentages

(OP)
I just came across a short entry in Aviation Week's "The Weekly of Business Aviation" which states that pilot error can account for up to 80% of all fatal accidents involving aircraft.  My question is, what constitutes the other 20%?  Does anyone know the break down percentage wise?  For example;  Weather accounts for X%, structural failure for y%, system failure z%.  Any info would be appreciated.

Thanks!

-----
Nert

RE: Pilot error, structural failure percentages

Hi,
Regarding the causes of civil aviation accidents the following information comes from a paper presented at the 1991 ICAF Conference by A.J. Emmerson (Safety Regulation and Standards Division, Civil Aviation Authority of Australia)and refers specifically to wide-body airliner accidents before 1986.
 Aircraft design, manufacture and maintenance   39%
 Flight crew error                              23%
 Weather                                        23%
 Ground crew error                              4%
 Air traffic control                            4%
 Passenger error                                3%
 Cabin crew error                               2%
 Bird strike                                    2%
 Other                                          1%
(Figures do not add exactly to 100% due to round-off)

The information is based on research by Wiegers and Rosman: "Safety Information System - A safety profile of Wide-body Commercial Aircraft", Flight Safety Foundation Air Safety seminar, Proceedings 39th Annual Meeting, October 1986.
I hope this is of use to you.
Regards
Andries

RE: Pilot error, structural failure percentages

(OP)
Thank you for your help and time,  Andries, I appreciate it.

-----
Nert

Red Flag This Post

Please let us know here why this post is inappropriate. Reasons such as off-topic, duplicates, flames, illegal, vulgar, or students posting their homework.

Red Flag Submitted

Thank you for helping keep Eng-Tips Forums free from inappropriate posts.
The Eng-Tips staff will check this out and take appropriate action.

Reply To This Thread

Posting in the Eng-Tips forums is a member-only feature.

Click Here to join Eng-Tips and talk with other members! Already a Member? Login



News


Close Box

Join Eng-Tips® Today!

Join your peers on the Internet's largest technical engineering professional community.
It's easy to join and it's free.

Here's Why Members Love Eng-Tips Forums:

Register now while it's still free!

Already a member? Close this window and log in.

Join Us             Close